1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of Absolute Value of X

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Here, it says that for the limit f(x) = |x| / x,

|x| = { x, x > 0
    -x, x < 0 }

What I don't undestand is why is |x| = -x for values under zero? Isn't the absolute value for negative values just x and not -x?

thanks.

EDIT: I don't want to start a new thread, but I got stuck on this next question :(

Lim x approaching -1 of
    3(1-x^2) / x^3 + 1

I tried multiply the equation by x^3 - 1 / x^3 - 1
    and I ended up with 0 / -2.

The answer is however 2... any help would be helpful;!

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Example: |-7| = -(-7) = 7.

Do you see why we need the minus sign?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Wow!!1
    Thanks a lot! I can't believe I cannot see such a simple logic...

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Ofcourse, what you could do is, by knowing in forhand the limit, to use the delta-epsilon method. But that would become quite messy, I think.

Your strategy of multiplying the limit with 1 with apropriate numerator and denominator is clever, and is often useful when you deal with square roots.

Here however, you see that the denominator and numerator have the same limit: 0. That's an indication to use L'hopital. As far as I can see your limit is equal to

[tex]

lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{3-3x^{2}}{1+x^{3}} = lim_{x \rightarrow -1}\frac{-6x}{3x^{2}} = lim_{x \rightarrow -1} \frac{-2}{x} = 2
    [/tex]

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the help! I was stuck on this equation for a while.
    It's been about a year since I've even touched Calculus... I'm extremely rusty on the basics, and now I have to relearn everything!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?