Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of an integral

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    Suppose to have the following integral:

[tex]\int \limits _{-H/2}^{+H/2}f(z) \frac{H-2z}{\left[\left(b - y\right)^2 + \left(H/2 - z\right)^2\right]^2}dz[/tex]

Suppose that [tex]f(z)[/tex] does NOT have a crazy behavior and that does not go to infinity anywhere and that it is continuos. I do not know a priori the expression of [tex]f(z)[/tex].

Now the question: what is the limit of the integral when the parameter [tex]H[/tex] (which appears in the limits and integrand) goes to [tex]+\infty[/tex] ???
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my opinion, it is not possible to say anything without knowing explicitely f(z).
  4. Dec 20, 2006 #3
    That is the issue I have. Let's assume the function to be odd or even or neither.
  5. Dec 20, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Try integrating by parts once (assuming f is differentiable).
  6. Dec 20, 2006 #5
    If I integrate by parts, what do I gain? I do not see it????
  7. Dec 20, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

You should get the derivative of f time a spike centered at H/2. Pay attention to the boundary terms as well. You can get a nice result if you assume f' is continuous and vanishes at infinity.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  8. Dec 20, 2006 #7
    Nothing concretely can be concluded about convergence or divergence without specifying f(z) I affraid.
    Suggestion however:
    You might want to try some classical range tests with f(z) being constant ,logarithm and exponential funtions to get the feeling of behaviour.
  9. Dec 20, 2006 #8
    Could you please StatusX post your procedure here? I have the feeling that tehno is right and f(z) must be specified. But we can also ask (this can be useful too) what are the properties of the function f(z) to NOT have infinite limit.
  10. Dec 20, 2006 #9

Homework Helper

All I can really say is that if f' vanishes at infinity, you can show the integral you get after integrating by parts vanishes in the limit. Then you are left with the boundary terms, which should be easy, as long as f(z) asympototes to some limit as z->infinity (which, incidentally, implies the first assumption).
  11. Dec 20, 2006 #10
    If I unserstood correctly, when the derivative goes to zero the we have only the boundary term; however, the boundary term goes to zero too because it has H at the denominator. So under the assumptions that StatusX made the limit is zero.
  12. Dec 20, 2006 #11

Homework Helper

No, check the boundary term again, the H should drop out.
  13. Dec 22, 2006 #12
    If f converges to a point say [tex]f_{\infty}[/tex] then the answer would be
  14. Dec 27, 2006 #13
    Hello balakrishnan_v, could you please post your derivation?
    Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?