Limits of Arc Tangent (a) and (b)

In summary, Homework Equations involve solving for limits and derivatives. For (a), the limit was easy to find using y = arctan(x), x = tan(y) to rewrite the limit as y/tan(y) = y/(sin y/cos y) = y(cosy)/sin y. For (b), the limit is not solved yet, but using the same substitution y = arctan(x), x=tan(y), and trig identities like -cos(2a) = sin^2 y - cos^2 y, as well as others, has yielded some results. For (c), using the power series for arctan (x) would be useful.
SheldonG

Homework Statement

Evalute:

a) lim (x->0) (arctan x)/x
b) lim (x->1) (arctan(x) - pi/4)/(x-1)

Homework Equations

Inverse tangent, trig identities. Kline's calculus, which I am teaching myself from, does not have that much detail on limits.

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), I solved it fairly easily. I used y = arctan(x), x = tan(y) to rewrite the limit as

y/tan(y) = y/(sin y/cos y) = y(cosy)/sin y) = (y/sin y)(cos y).

as x->0, y/sin y = 1, as does cos(y).

Applying the same approach to (b) has not rewarded me with a solution.

Making the same substition y = arctan(x), x=tan(y), I get

(y - pi/4)/(tan(y) - 1)

(4y - pi)(cos y)/(4(sin y - cos y))

But I don't seem to be able to find my way to a solution.

Some things I have tried:

trig identities like -cos(2a) = sin^2 y - cos^2 y, as well as others.

I tried dividing up the fraction, and computing the sums:

y/(sin y - cos y) - pi/(sin y - cos y).

I also tried finding the limit of the difference between this and part (a), on the assumption that the limit of the sums is the sum of the limits.

If anyone could prod this old guy in a useful direction, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheldon

Physics news on Phys.org
when x->1, top and bottom goes to zero, can use l'hopital rule

Thanks mjsd, but the book hasn't covered that yet.

Well then this is a good time to learn. L'hopitals Rule is very useful to apply to limits. Basically, if by direction substitution you get 0/0, infinity/infinity or some other indeterminate forms, then you can use this method.

Say your limit is x>C f(x)/g(x), where C is some number. If we get an inderterminate form, the limit is equal to x>C f'(x)/g'(x). We just took the derivative of the top and bottom. Then we try substituting again. That is what out original limit is equal to. If it doesn't work, and we get another indeterminatite form, use the rule again and again til it works.

Hi Gib Z.

Perhaps this would be a good time to learn... But working on the assumption that it is solvable without L'hopitals Rule, I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks for your advice,
Sheldon

Maybe using the power series for arctan (x) would be useful here.
arctan x = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - ...

Part b is just the definition of derivative for arctan (x) at x=1.

d/dx (arctan x) = (1+x^2)^-1

EDIT: part a is also the definition of derivative for arctan(x) at x=0. It should be more clear if you write it as [arctan(x)-0]/(x-0).

Last edited:
IMDerek said:
Maybe using the power series for arctan (x) would be useful here.
arctan x = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - ...

Part b is just the definition of derivative for arctan (x) at x=1.

d/dx (arctan x) = (1+x^2)^-1

EDIT: part a is also the definition of derivative for arctan(x) at x=0. It should be more clear if you write it as [arctan(x)-0]/(x-0).

Ah, thank you, Derek. I should have seen that. That makes sense. So I can say that

(arctan(x) - pi/4)/(x-1) = (arctan(x) - arctan(pi/4))/x - 1

so it would follow right away that the limit is the same as the derivative of (b), which gives me 1/2. Wonderful. Thank you so much.

Sheldon

1. What are the limits of arc tangent (a) and (b)?

The limits of arc tangent (a) and (b) are -π/2 to π/2 and 0 to π respectively.

2. Why is the limit of arc tangent (a) -π/2 to π/2?

The limit of arc tangent (a) is -π/2 to π/2 because this is the range of values for which the inverse tangent function is defined. Beyond this range, the function becomes undefined.

3. How is the limit of arc tangent (b) different from the limit of arc tangent (a)?

The limit of arc tangent (b) is different from the limit of arc tangent (a) because the range of values for arc tangent (b) is 0 to π, while the range for arc tangent (a) is -π/2 to π/2. This means that the values for arc tangent (b) will always be positive, while the values for arc tangent (a) can be positive or negative.

4. What is the significance of the limits of arc tangent (a) and (b)?

The limits of arc tangent (a) and (b) are important because they define the range of values for which the inverse tangent function is defined. This helps us to understand the behavior of the function and its limitations.

5. How can we use the limits of arc tangent (a) and (b) in real-world applications?

The limits of arc tangent (a) and (b) can be used in real-world applications that involve angles and trigonometric functions. For example, in navigation and surveying, the inverse tangent function is used to calculate the angle of elevation or depression. By understanding the limits of arc tangent, we can ensure that our calculations are within a defined range of values.