1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of arctan(e^x)?

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    (sorry the thread title is wrong - can a mod please change it to "Limit of e^-7x cos x?")
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the following:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} \cos x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I know that [tex] [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)g(x) ] = [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) ] \cdot [ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x)] [/tex] so...

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the above equations...
    [tex][\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} \sin x] = [(\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x}) \cdot (\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \cos x)][/tex] But this limit DNE, since [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} cos x : DNE[/tex]

And yet, WebAssign tells me that DNE is wrong, and that I must use the Squeeze Theorem for this problem. Any help? My trig is a little rusty (last time I took it was 9 years ago), so any useful reminders on that front would be helpful as well. I'm taking Calc I.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just because one of the limits DNE doesn't mean that the product DNE. Could it be that one of your limits is 0? Use the squeeze theorem!

4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    Okay, I can see that [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} e^{-7x} = 0[/tex] Which means that the limit as a whole should be 0, if it's not that case that the limit DNE. In that case, can I use the Squeeze Theorem like this?
    [tex] [-1 \leq \cos x \leq 1] \Rightarrow [-e^{-7x} \leq e^{-7x} cos x \leq e^{-7x}][/tex] Meaning that [tex][\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x}) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x})[/tex]

Which means that

[tex] 0 \leq \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) \leq 0 [/tex]

Which. by the Squeeze Theorem means that

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}(-e^{-7x} \cos x) = 0[/tex]
    ?

5. Feb 6, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can. There's a typo or two in there, but that's ok. I know what you mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted