Limit of Arctanx: Why Does \frac{\pi}{2} Make Sense?

• Thread starter Geekchick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of arctanx as x approaches infinity is \frac{\pi}{2} because arctanx is the inverse function of tangent and as the tangent value approaches infinity, the corresponding angle value approaches \frac{\pi}{2}. Additionally, the improper integral does not always diverge if the limit is infinity, as seen in the example \int_1^\infty \frac{1}{x^2} dx, where one bound is infinite but the integral is finite.
Geekchick
I just wanted to know why the limit of arctanx as x approaches infinity is [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Also, when determining if an improper integral diverges. It always diverges if the limit is infinity? my text doesn't say it just gives two examples where this is the case so I wanted to check before I generalized.

thanks!

I'm merely a first year mathematics student who just recently covered this material so if anyone sees a mistake in my post, please correct me.

The lowest upper bound of arctan x is pie/2, and the function of arctan x is always increasing since (arctan x)' = (1/(1+x^2)) is always positive. The lowest upper bound of a nondecreasing function is the limit as x approaches infinity, so your limit is pie/2.

As for your second question, I'm quite sure that the integral diverges if it approaches infinity.

Geekchick said:
Also, when determining if an improper integral diverges. It always diverges if the limit is infinity? my text doesn't say it just gives two examples where this is the case so I wanted to check before I generalized.

thanks!

By limit, I assume you mean one of the bounds of the improper integral. This is not true. The improper integral:
[tex]\int_1^\infty \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/tex]
is finite, even though one of the bounds is infinite.
As for the previous question, note that arctangent is defined to be an inverse function for the tangent function, which is not one-to-one. They choose the part of the tangent function that lies in the open interval (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) to define the inverse function, which gives you the range for the inverse function arctangent. The behavior of the function, you can ascertain from the graph of x = tan(y) where y is taken to be in that interval, as it is the same as the graph of y = arctan(x).

Last edited:
Geekchick said:
I just wanted to know why the limit of arctanx as x approaches infinity is [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, what should arctan(x) be in the first place?

It is the angle (measured in radians), for which the tangent equals x!

Now, remember:

As the angle value approaches pi/2, the corresponding tangent value approaches infinity.

Since the mapping from angles to tangent values is bijective, it follows that we can define an inverse mapping (i.e, the arctan-mapping), having in particular, the property that as the tangent value approaches infinity, the angle value approaches pi/2.

arildno said:
Since the mapping from angles to tangent values is bijective,...

Just a little nitpick: the mapping is not bijective, but you can restrict it to a domain that will give a bijection with R.

Since you had already eminently mentioned the necessary domain restriction, I didn't bother to belabor that point. :smile:

1. What is the limit of arctanx as x approaches infinity?

The limit of arctanx as x approaches infinity is equal to

2. How can the limit of arctanx be explained intuitively?

The limit of arctanx can be explained intuitively by considering the graph of the arctan function. As x approaches infinity, the graph of arctanx approaches a horizontal asymptote at This means that the values of arctanx get closer and closer to as x gets larger.

3. Why does make sense as the limit of arctanx?

As x approaches infinity, the arctan function essentially "flattens out" and becomes a horizontal line at This is because as x gets larger, the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle becomes very small, essentially approaching 0. This means that the angle formed by this ratio approaches and thus, the value of arctanx approaches as x gets larger.

4. Can the limit of arctanx be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, the limit of arctanx as x approaches infinity can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule. By taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and applying the rule repeatedly, the limit can be simplified to

5. Does the limit of arctanx have any real-world applications?

Yes, the limit of arctanx has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, it is used in calculating the phase difference between two signals in electrical engineering and in finding the angle of elevation in navigation and surveying. It is also used in the development of algorithms and computer graphics to determine the orientation of 3D objects.