1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of arithmetic mean

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove if that if the limit of a_n = c as n approaches infinity, then the limit of o_n = c as n approaches infinity, where o_n is the arithmetic mean (a_1 + ... + a_n)/n

2. Relevant equations

I can't figure out how to bound it from below.

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming that the terms go in ascending order, then a_n is the largest term in the numerator, and so o_n <= n(a_n)/n = a_n.

So I have it bounded above. But I can't figure out how to bound it below, such that the sequence which bounds it below converges to a_n as well. Help would be appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Try this. Select [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex]. Since the original sequence converges to [tex] c [/tex] there is an integer [tex] N_1 [/tex] such that

|a_n - c | < \epsilon \quad \text{ for } n \ge N_1

Now, if [tex] m > N_1 [/tex],

\left| \frac{a_1 + a_2 + \dots + a_{N_1} + a_{N_1+1} + \dots + a_m}{m} - c \right| \le \left|\frac{(a_1-c) + (a_2 - c) + \dots + (a_{N_1} - c)}{m}\right| + \left|\frac{(a_{N_1+1} - c) + \dots + (a_m - c)}{m} \right|

You can use the triangle inequality (repeatedly) on each of these two terms. Every piece from the second fraction can be bounded in relation to [tex] \epsilon [/tex], and since there are finitely many terms from the first piece, you can bound those. With a little though you should be able to show that, for [tex] m [/tex] big enough, [tex] \sigma_m [/tex] (the general term in the sum sequence) is within [tex] \epsilon [/tex] of [tex] c [/tex]
  4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    Ok. So let e denote epsilon.

I have

|(a_1 + .. + a_m)/m - c| <= |(a_1 - c)/m| + ... + |(a_m - c)/m| < |(a_1 - c)/m| + ... +

|(a_N1 - c)/m) + |m*e/m| = |(a_1 - c)/m| + ... + |(a_N1 - c)/m) + e. Now, assuming a_N1 is the largest term in the sequence a_1,...,a_N1, then, |(a_1 - c)/m| + ... + |(a_N1 - c)/m) + e
    < |m(a_N1 - c)/m| + e = |a_N1 - c| + e. I know that for any n >= N1, |a_n - c| < e. So I know that |a_N1 - c| < e, so therefore |a_N1 - c| + e < e + e = 2e.

I'm stuck on that part now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?