What is the Limit of the Arithmetic Mean as n Approaches Infinity?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if the limit of a sequence x_n is L, then the limit of the average of the first n terms of the sequence is also L. The conversation includes the definition of a limit, steps to prove the statement, and the use of epsilon-delta proof.
stanley.st

Homework Statement

prove: lim x_n = L. Then
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{x_1+\cdots+x_n}{n}=L[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know abolutely. i tried definition

[tex]\left|\frac{x_1+\cdots+x_n}{n}-L\right|=\frac{1}{n}\left|(x_1-L)+\cdots+(x_n-L)\right|[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Stanley!

First, what does it mean that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{x_n}=L[/tex]?? I simply want the definition...

Thanks for reply.

[tex]\forall\varepsilon>0\exists N\in\mathbb{N}\forall n>N:|x_n-L|<\varepsilon[/tex]

I'm not sure about right steps. I can't simply write

[tex]|x_k-L|<\varepsilon[/tex]

for some k in that sum. I should divide this sum into two parts

[tex]\frac{1}{n}\left|(x_1-L)+\cdots+(x_k-L)+\cdots+(x_n-L)\right|\le\frac{1}{n}\left|(x_1-L)+\cdots+(x_k-L)|+|x_{k+1}-L|+\cdots+(x_n-L)\right|[/tex]

Yes, so take that N such that [tex]|x_n-L|<\epsilon[/tex].

Now, our goal is to make [tex]|(x_1+...+x_n)/n-L|[/tex] smaller then epsilon.

Now, let me do the first few steps:

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^n{x_k}-L\right|\leq \sum_{k=1}^n{\frac{1}{n}|x_k-L|}=\sum_{k=1}^N{\frac{1}{n}|x_k-L|}+\sum_{k=N+1}^n{\frac{1}{n}|x_k-L|}[/tex]

Now try to go on

Then I should write

[tex]<\sum_{k=1}^N{\frac{1}{n}|x_k-L|}+\sum_{k=N+1}^n{\frac{1}{n}\epsilon}=\sum_{k=1}^N{\frac{1}{n}|x_k-L|}+{\frac{n-N}{n}\epsilon}[/tex]

Terms in first sum I can bound by maximum

[tex]<\frac{N}{n}max+\frac{n-N}{n}\epsilon[/tex]

And then ??

What happens if n becomes bigger?

Can you find an n such that the entire sum becomes smaller then [tex]\epsilon[/tex]? (or rather [tex]2\epsilon[/tex]?)

OMG, I'm so stupid. Thank you so much man.

1. What is the definition of limit of arithmetic mean?

The limit of arithmetic mean is the value that a sequence of numbers approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is often denoted as "lim n→∞ (a1+a2+...+an)/n", where n represents the number of terms and a1, a2, ..., an are the numbers in the sequence.

2. How is the limit of arithmetic mean calculated?

The limit of arithmetic mean can be calculated by taking the sum of all the terms in the sequence and dividing it by the number of terms. As the number of terms increases, the limit will approach a specific value, known as the limit of the arithmetic mean.

3. What is the importance of the limit of arithmetic mean in mathematics?

The limit of arithmetic mean is an important concept in mathematics as it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of a sequence of numbers. It allows us to determine the overall trend or average of a sequence and make predictions about its future values.

4. Can the limit of arithmetic mean be infinite?

Yes, the limit of arithmetic mean can be infinite if the sequence of numbers has no upper bound. In this case, as the number of terms increases, the sum of the terms also increases without bound, resulting in an infinite limit of the arithmetic mean.

5. How is the limit of arithmetic mean used in real-life applications?

The limit of arithmetic mean has various real-life applications, such as in statistics, where it is used to calculate the mean of a large data set. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze data and make predictions based on a sequence of values. Additionally, it is utilized in financial analysis to determine the average return on investment over a period of time.