Limit of cosine question

Homework Statement

What would be the limit of {cos(m!*pi*x}^{2n} as 'n' and 'm' go to infinity along with proof? Also x is real. I have no clue as to how to start the question. Please help! Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write the original function as e^[(ln(cos(m!*pi*x)/(1/2n)], but since not both the numerator and denominator go to zero, I couldn't use L'Hopital's Rule.

Other method I tried was using the power series expansion of cosine, but I am not sure how to deal with m!

Any hints or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Consider the fact that cosine is bounded between -1 and 1.

Consider the fact that cosine is bounded between -1 and 1.
Actually I should clarify the question and mu doubt:

the actual question is Evaluate lim m→infinity [lim n→ infinity ((cos (m!*pi*x))^2n) ].

So if we went with -1<= cos (m!*pi*x)<= 1, take powers of 2n on all sides and take limit as n goes to infinity, we get the limit of the original function as 1. Is that correct? I am not sure how to deal with the part where m goes to infinity.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Actually I should clarify the question and mu doubt:

the actual question is Evaluate lim m→infinity [lim n→ infinity ((cos (m!*pi*x))^2n) ].
Are you sure that you're supposed to take the limit as m tends to infinity last? The order will make a difference in how the problem works out.

So if we went with -1<= cos (m!*pi*x)<= 1, take powers of 2n on all sides and take limit as n goes to infinity, we get the limit of the original function as 1. Is that correct? I am not sure how to deal with the part where m goes to infinity.
No, that's not correct. Suppose m=1 and x=1/2. What would be the limit as n→∞? How about if x=1/3 instead?

I see your point. The limit varies as we vary m and x, but I am still stuck. So do we just say that there is no limit because the cosine function keeps oscillating between -1 and 1? I still have no clue how to deal with the m!

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Like I said, the order of the limits matters. When you take the limit as n tends to infinity, you're doing so for a fixed m. And then you take the result of that and see what happens when m goes to infinity.

Could you please show me how you would do the problem? I have tried a variety of things like converting cosine squared into sine squared, or using e^ln form, but nothing seems to work. I am sorry, I am completely blank.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I see your point. The limit varies as we vary m and x, but I am still stuck. So do we just say that there is no limit because the cosine function keeps oscillating between -1 and 1? I still have no clue how to deal with the m!
I don't think you did actually, because I gave you the wrong examples. :redface:

Say m=1. What's the limit equal to when x=1 as n→∞? What's the limit equal to when x=1/3? You should be able to convince yourself there are only two possible outcomes for the inner limit. Which one you get depends on m and x.

Okay let's do it the way you suggest. When m=1, x=1, then cos(pi)^2n=1 as n→∞. When m=1, x=1/3, then cos(pi/3)^2n= (sqrt3/ 2)^infinity = 0. So the two possible outcomes are zero and 1. So since m is an integer, it all comes down to x. If x=integer, then the limit is 1 and if x=/ an integer, then the limit is 0. Am I right yet?

Of course, if m=x, then we will have the limit as 1.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
What if x=1/12? Is the limit always 0 regardless of the value of m?