1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of cosine question

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What would be the limit of {cos(m!*pi*x}^{2n} as 'n' and 'm' go to infinity along with proof? Also x is real. I have no clue as to how to start the question. Please help! Thanks.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to write the original function as e^[(ln(cos(m!*pi*x)/(1/2n)], but since not both the numerator and denominator go to zero, I couldn't use L'Hopital's Rule.

Other method I tried was using the power series expansion of cosine, but I am not sure how to deal with m!

Any hints or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Consider the fact that cosine is bounded between -1 and 1.

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    Actually I should clarify the question and mu doubt:

the actual question is Evaluate lim m→infinity [lim n→ infinity ((cos (m!*pi*x))^2n) ].

So if we went with -1<= cos (m!*pi*x)<= 1, take powers of 2n on all sides and take limit as n goes to infinity, we get the limit of the original function as 1. Is that correct? I am not sure how to deal with the part where m goes to infinity.

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure that you're supposed to take the limit as m tends to infinity last? The order will make a difference in how the problem works out.

No, that's not correct. Suppose m=1 and x=1/2. What would be the limit as n→∞? How about if x=1/3 instead?

6. Feb 20, 2014 #5
    I see your point. The limit varies as we vary m and x, but I am still stuck. So do we just say that there is no limit because the cosine function keeps oscillating between -1 and 1? I still have no clue how to deal with the m!

7. Feb 20, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Like I said, the order of the limits matters. When you take the limit as n tends to infinity, you're doing so for a fixed m. And then you take the result of that and see what happens when m goes to infinity.

8. Feb 20, 2014 #7
    Could you please show me how you would do the problem? I have tried a variety of things like converting cosine squared into sine squared, or using e^ln form, but nothing seems to work. I am sorry, I am completely blank.

9. Feb 20, 2014 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't think you did actually, because I gave you the wrong examples. :redface:

Say m=1. What's the limit equal to when x=1 as n→∞? What's the limit equal to when x=1/3? You should be able to convince yourself there are only two possible outcomes for the inner limit. Which one you get depends on m and x.

10. Feb 20, 2014 #9
    Okay let's do it the way you suggest. When m=1, x=1, then cos(pi)^2n=1 as n→∞. When m=1, x=1/3, then cos(pi/3)^2n= (sqrt3/ 2)^infinity = 0. So the two possible outcomes are zero and 1. So since m is an integer, it all comes down to x. If x=integer, then the limit is 1 and if x=/ an integer, then the limit is 0. Am I right yet?

11. Feb 20, 2014 #10
    Of course, if m=x, then we will have the limit as 1.

12. Feb 20, 2014 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What if x=1/12? Is the limit always 0 regardless of the value of m?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted