Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of derivative

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    obviously x^2sin(1/x) isn't continuous in its derivative at zero. But it seems if you take
    (x^2 + y^2) sin(1/(x^2+y^2)) and switch to polar coordinates then the derivative is continuous at zero.... but that can't be right... can it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The second function doesn't restrict to the first function on the x-axis, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised their differentiability properties would be different. On the other hand the function

[tex] (x^2+y^2) \sin( \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} ) [/tex]
    is the radial extension of your original function to the x-y plane, and when you switch to polar coordinates you get that it is not differentiable at zero (since it's the exact same function once you do that)

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    Please be more specific. What are your calculations, for instance?

Also, the derivative in polar coordinates aren't that simple. If we have r=f(θ), then f'(θ) isn't necessarily the slope of the line tangent to f at θ.

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4
    g'(r,alpha) = (for all alpha) = z2r*sin(1/r*sqrt(z)) - r^2/sqrt(r*z) cos(1/r*sqrt(z)) is what I get. where z = cos^2(alpha) + sin^2(alpha). And the limit should exist as r goes to zero by the squeeze theorem., .... right?

6. Apr 30, 2012 #5
    OH, no.... I made a mistake. I made a bad substitution as I forgot that r = sqrt(x^2+y^2) and then its really trivial. Funny, that I had this idea but did the transformation wrong, still.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook