1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of double integration

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    For the following regions in R2 express the double integral in terms of iterated integrals in two different ways:

S = the region between the parabolas y = x2 and y = 6 - 4x -x2

Solution:

Ok I got everything except one limit of integraton in regards to the order dx dy of integration:

for an upper limit of integration the solution said: x = -2 ± (10 - y )1/2. my question is how do they obtain that limit of integration. It's probably more of an algebraic question than calculus.

Also how do you write integrals with iTex code?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

look at the equations you have been given. Can you think of how to rearrange one of them to get the limit?

Also, for more information on latex: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617567 Or google might help. I think I remember the way to write the integral sign is \int

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3

That's exactly my problem I can't see how to rearrange them to obtain that solution.

5. Aug 14, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Integrating with respect to x should be straightforward. Looking at a graph indicates that, integrating with respect to y you will need to break this into three separate integrals, from y= 0 to y= 1, from y= 1 to y= 9, and from y= 9 to y= 10. Do you see why?

6. Aug 15, 2012 #5

I do somewhat see why, well what I mean by that is I understand exactly the reason for splittiing it up, I think the way I drew the graph doesn't illustrate that. But it is solving for the exact x value that I specified in my first post. I tried to work it backwards and couldn't get anything related to what I have.

7. Aug 15, 2012 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

You can do it. Get y=6-4x-x2 so that x is the subject of the equation. Also, it is important to draw out the graph, and algebraically work out the points of intersection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook