1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit of function

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) limit of [ sqrt (1+2x) - sqrt (1-3x) ] / x as x tends to 0
    2) limit of (3x^4 -8x^3 + d) / (x^3 - x^2 - x + 1) as x tends to 1
    3) limit of [ sqrt (x^2 + 1) - sqrt (x^2 - 1) ] as x tends to infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) a little confusion here... is the limit 0 or 5/2?
    2) since the function is continuous at x0=1, then sub. 1 into all x and the limit does not exist since the denominator = 0 (is it correct?)
    3) divide each term inside the sqrt by x^2 and get sqrt 1 - sqrt 1 = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Multiply by 1 in the form of [sqrt(1 + 2x) + sqrt(1 - 3x)] over itself.
    It depends on what d is. Or is that a typo?
    No, that won't work, because what you have now is x(sqrt(1 + 1/x^2) - sqrt(1 - 1/x^2)). This is indeterminate as x --> infinity. The thing to do is to multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself.

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    1) yeah that's what I did and get 5/2 but I thought the answer would be 0
    2) yes it is a typo, it should be 5 instead of d. but the limit does not exist right? since the denominator = 0
    3) oh! mupltiply by (sqrt (x^2 + 1) + sqrt(x^2-) ) expand and get x^2 + 1 - (x^2 -1) = 0?

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4

Mark44

For 1, if you show your work, I'll check it.
    For 2, the limit is -oo.
    For 3, x^2 + 1 - (x^2 -1) != 0. Check your algebra!

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5
    1) multiply the equation by (sqrt (1+2x) + sqrt (1-3x)) / (sqrt (1+2x) + sqrt (1-3x))
    and get 5x / x (sqrt (1+2x) + sqrt (1-3x))
    and get 5 / (sqrt (1+2x) + sqrt (1-3x))
    sub. 0 into x and get 5/2

2) how did the limit turn to be negative infinity???

3) oops I'm sorry. I just realized it when I did it on the paper AFTER I posted that.
    if I multiply the whole equation by (sqrt (x^2 + 1) + sqrt (x^2-1)) / (sqrt (x^2 + 1) + sqrt (x^2-1) ), get
    2 / (sqrt (x^2 + 1) + sqrt (x^2-1) )
    then divide each term in the sqrt by x^2?
    and get 2/infinity = 0?

does 0 / infinity = 0?
    and what is 0 x infinity?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. Feb 10, 2010 #6

Mark44

Right, the limit is 5/2. On a technical note, you're not multiplying an equation by that stuff; you're multiplying an expression by that stuff. An equation always has an = sign lurking about.
    Actually, my answer was incorrect. The limit doesn't exist at all. The left-side limit is oo and the right-side limit is -oo. To see what's happening around x = 1, notice that you can factor (x - 1) out of both the numerator and denominator.
    Prob 3 is pretty clear-cut. After multiplying the expression by the conjugate over itself, you get 2/(sqrt(x^2 + 1) + sqrt(x^2 - 1)). As x --> oo, the denominator gets large without bound, but the numerator is stuck at 2, so the whole fraction approaches 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook