Proving the Limit of Integrable Functions on a Closed Interval

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if f is integrable on [a, b], then the limit of the integral from a to x as x approaches a from the right is equal to 0. The person asking for help is confused and does not know how to prove this. They are also unsure of what definition of integral to use. The suggested approach is to use the definition of integral in terms of Riemann sums.
tomboi03
Prove: If f is integrable on [a , b] then
lim f =0
x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]a+

the integral goes from a to x.

How do i go about and prove this? I'm confused.
Please help me out!
Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Do you mean
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a^+} \int_a^x f(t)dt= 0[/tex]

The way you have written it, that the limit of f is 0, makes no sense- that certainly is not necessarily true.

My suggestion here is the same as to your other question: use the definition of integral in terms of Riemann sums.

I've never learn Riemann sum definition.
What is that?

First, is what I wrote what you mean. And if you have never learned Riemann sums, what definition of [itex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/itex] are you using?

1. What is the definition of a limit of integrable functions?

The limit of integrable functions is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a particular value, typically denoted by the variable x. In other words, it is the value that a function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a specific point or value.

2. How is the limit of integrable functions different from the limit of a sequence?

The limit of integrable functions and the limit of a sequence are both used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence as the input values approach a particular value. However, the main difference is that the limit of integrable functions deals with continuous functions, while the limit of a sequence deals with discrete values.

3. What is the importance of the limit of integrable functions in calculus?

The limit of integrable functions is an essential concept in calculus because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point. It also helps us to evaluate and solve complex integrals, which are used in various applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How do you calculate the limit of integrable functions?

The calculation of the limit of integrable functions involves plugging in values that are approaching the desired point into the function and observing the resulting output values. If the output values approach a specific value, then that value is the limit of the function. If the output values do not approach a specific value, then the limit does not exist.

5. Can the limit of integrable functions be undefined?

Yes, the limit of integrable functions can be undefined. This occurs when the output values of the function do not approach a particular value, or when there are discontinuities in the function. In these cases, we say that the limit does not exist.