1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of Integrals

1. Jun 8, 2006 #1
    Ok, i have this problem:

Calculate: Limit x->0 of ((integral of cos t² dt between 0 and x²) / (integral of e^(-t²) dt))

So, the limit of both integrals is 0 since the interval between both integrals tends to 0. I used L'Hopital then, so:

Limit x->0 F'(x)/G'(x) = (cos (x^4) * 2x)/(e^(-x²)), F(x) and G(x) being both integrals.

I know that this is right, i just don't remember why F'(x) = cos (x^4) * 2x and not F'(x) = cos (x^4)... I know it have something to do with the fact that 2x is the derivative of x² but there's something missing in this explanation.

Tks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]A(x) = \int _0 ^x \cos t^2\, dt[/tex]

[tex]B(x) = x^2[/tex]

F = A o B, so F'(x) = B'(x)A'(B(x)) by chain rule, giving:

F'(x) = 2xA'(x2) = 2xcos(x4) by FTC
  4. Jun 8, 2006 #3
    Tks for that... but what i really wanted to know is why F'(x) = B'(x)A'(B(x))... IOW a proof of the chain rule. I guess was naturally inclined to think that F'(x) would equal A'(B(x)).
  5. Jun 8, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Here's a sketch of a proof of the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(f(g(x)))= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x+h))-f(g(x))}{h} [/tex]

Now define:

[tex]k=g(x+h)-g(x) [/tex]

Then as h goes to zero, k goes to zero, and:

[tex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{k}{h} = g'(x)[/tex]

Then we have:

[tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x+h))-f(g(x))}{h} =\lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{h}[/tex]

And as k gets very small, h can be replaced by k/g'(x), and:

[tex] \lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{h}= \lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{k/g'(x)} = \lim_{k\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(g(x)+k)-f(g(x))}{k}g'(x) =f'(g(x)) g'(x) [/tex]

There are some details to fill in if you want to be rigorous.
  6. Jun 8, 2006 #5
    Great, Tks...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?