Finding the Limit of a Multi-Variable Function

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the limit of the expression lim(x,y)->(0,0) x2sin2y/(x2+2y2) and the two possible scenarios for the existence of the limit. One approach is to find two different paths to the origin where the limit is different, while another approach is to use polar coordinates and obtain bounds for the expression as a function of r (distance from origin). It is suggested to try both approaches to determine the correct solution. Additionally, there is mention of a similar expression, x2sin2y/(x2 + y2), and how the same approach can be adapted for this expression.
hazellaw
i need some help with this question

Find the limit, if it exists, or show that the limit does not exist

lim(x,y)->(0,0) x2sin2y/(x2+2y2)

i've tried to x=y x=0 or x=y2 but i still got 0...

Physics news on Phys.org
With these kind of exercises, there are two alternatives:

It could be that the limit does not exist, and then you can prove it by finding two different paths to the origo, such that the limit is different along them.

Or then, it could be that the limit does exist,and then a one good idea is to use polar coordinates, or in some other way obtain some bounds (upper or lower, whatever you need) as a function of [itex]r[/itex] (distance from origo), and then prove that the bounds converge when [itex]r\to 0[/itex].

If you don't know in advance what the correct solution is, then you must try both to see what works.

I believe this expression approaches zero when [itex](x,y)\to 0[/itex], but it could be I made mistake.

Hi hazellaw! :smile:

Can you see an easy way of doing it for x2sin2y/(x2 + y2) ?

Then adapt that. :wink:

What is a limit of multi-variable?

A limit of multi-variable is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point in a multi-dimensional space. It is used to analyze the behavior of a function when multiple variables change simultaneously.

How is a limit of multi-variable calculated?

A limit of multi-variable is typically calculated using the same methods as a single-variable limit, such as substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation. However, the calculations may become more complex due to the presence of multiple variables.

Why is the limit of multi-variable important?

The limit of multi-variable is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function in a multi-dimensional space. This understanding is crucial in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some real-world applications of the limit of multi-variable?

The limit of multi-variable has numerous real-world applications, such as in the optimization of complex systems, the analysis of economic models, and the prediction of weather patterns. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as in the design of structures and machines.

Are there any limitations to the concept of limit of multi-variable?

While the concept of limit of multi-variable is powerful and widely applicable, it does have its limitations. These include the difficulty of calculating limits in higher dimensions, the potential for multiple paths to approach a limit point, and the possibility of discontinuities in the function's behavior.