Limit of Multivariable Function: ln((1+y^2)/(x^2+xy))

In summary, the limit of the given function as (x,y) approaches (1,0) is 0. This is because when the values of x and y are substituted into the function, ln(1) = 0. However, it is also important to note that the limits of 1+y^2 and x^2+xy both exist, which is a necessary condition for the product or quotient of the limits to be equal to the limit of the overall function. Therefore, the limit of the function is indeed 0.
munkhuu1

Homework Statement

lim(x,y)-(1,0) ln((1+y^2)/(x^2+xy))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if i just substitude x and y i get ln (1)= 0 so is the limit 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi munkhuu1! :smile:
munkhuu1 said:
if i just substitude x and y i get ln (1)= 0 so is the limit 0?

almost

the limit of a product (or quotient) is the product (or quotient) of the limits if they exist,

so you also need to point out that the two limits exist :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi munkhuu1! :smile:

almost

the limit of a product (or quotient) is the product (or quotient) of the limits if they exist,

so you also need to point out that the two limits exist :wink:

thank you, and so do i need to see if df/dx and df/dy exists? or something else?

(in some cases, that might not be enough!)

no, just point out that it's obvious that the limits of 1 +y2 and of x2 + xy exist :wink:

thank you. :approve:

1. What is the definition of limit of multi variable?

The limit of multi variable refers to the value that a function approaches as the input variables approach a specific point or value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a given point.

2. How is the limit of multi variable different from the limit of a single variable?

The limit of a single variable only considers the behavior of a function along a single axis, while the limit of multi variable takes into account the behavior of a function along multiple axes. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a function's behavior near a given point.

3. Can the limit of multi variable exist even if the limit of each individual variable does not?

Yes, it is possible for the limit of multi variable to exist even if the limit of each individual variable does not. This is because the behavior of a function can be affected by the interaction of multiple variables, even if each individual variable does not have a well-defined limit.

4. How is the limit of multi variable calculated?

The limit of multi variable is typically calculated by evaluating the function at different points near the given point and observing the trend of the function's values as the input variables get closer to the given point. This can be done numerically or graphically.

5. What are the applications of the limit of multi variable in science?

The limit of multi variable has many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering, where it is used to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables. It is also used in optimization problems and in the study of complex systems such as weather patterns and population dynamics.