Understanding the Limit of Natural Log: ln(x^2-16) as x Approaches 4+

In summary, the infinite limit can be determined by substituting in t for the function inside the natural log and evaluating the limit of ln(t) as t approaches 0 from the positive side. However, ln(0) is undefined as it represents the number you would need to take e to the power of to get ex=0, resulting in a limit of -∞. This may seem pointless, but it is a helpful method for understanding the concept.
Painguy
Determine the infinite limit.
lim x->4+ ln(x^2-16)

I know from graphing the equation and doing a table that the limit is -infinity, but my book is saying to do the following.

Let t = x^2-16, Then as x->4+, t->0+, and lim x->4+ ln(x^2-16)=lim t->0+ ln(t) by 3

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is just substituting in t for the function inside the natural log to make it easier to understand. Putting 4 into the equation you get 42-16=16-16=0 so it is the limit of ln(0). Thinking about ln(0), it is undefined as it represents the number you would need to take e to the power of to get ex=0. Since this ex can never reach 0 but only approach it, ln(0) is undefined and you limit is, as you thought, -∞.

Unless I'm totally wrong.

Gallagher said:
I think it is just substituting in t for the function inside the natural log to make it easier to understand. Putting 4 into the equation you get 42-16=16-16=0 so it is the limit of ln(0). Thinking about ln(0), it is undefined as it represents the number you would need to take e to the power of to get ex=0. Since this ex can never reach 0 but only approach it, ln(0) is undefined and you limit is, as you thought, -∞.

Unless I'm totally wrong.

ah i see. i guess that makes sense. It just seems rather pointless lol.

1. What is the limit of natural log as x approaches infinity?

The limit of natural log as x approaches infinity is infinity. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of natural log also increases without bound.

2. What is the limit of natural log as x approaches 1?

The limit of natural log as x approaches 1 is 0. This means that as x gets closer and closer to 1, the value of natural log gets closer and closer to 0.

3. How do you calculate the limit of natural log?

The limit of natural log can be calculated using the limit definition: lim x→a ln(x) = ln(a), where a is the value that x is approaching.

4. What is the domain of natural log?

The domain of natural log is all positive real numbers. This means that the input (x) must be greater than 0 in order for the natural log function to be defined.

5. Can natural log have a negative value?

No, natural log cannot have a negative value. The natural log function is only defined for positive real numbers, so it is not possible for it to have a negative output.