What is the Limit of the Partition Function in the Low Temperature Regime?

In summary, the conversation discusses the partition function and its limit in the case of low and high temperatures. The partition function is derived and it is found that at low temperatures, the value of Z goes to 1. However, when the temperature is high, Z diverges. The solution is found by taking n=0 out of the sum in the low T limit, which leads to Z=1 as expected.
quanlop93

Homework Statement

Ground state energy is set at 0.
[tex]E_n=\left(1-\frac{1}{n+1}\right)\in[/tex] with no degeneracy [tex](\Omega(n)=1); (n=0,1,2...)[/tex]
Write down the partition function and look for its limit when [tex]kt \gg \in\\ kt \ll \in[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Partition function for this is [tex] Z=\sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-\beta\left(1-\frac{1}{n-1}\right)\in}[/tex]
Consider Z when ##kt \ll \in## then ##\beta e \gg1## then ## e^{-\beta e} \rightarrow 0## This leads to the whole summation will go to 0. But we know that at low temperature, Z always goes to 1.
I have tried to calculate the summation but this series is divergent.
How can I change the calculation to reach Z =1?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree - if you have an infinite number of energy levels, bounded above by [itex]\epsilon[/itex], then the partition function diverges.

What happens if you single out ##n=0##?

Likes quanlop93
DrClaude said:
What happens if you single out ##n=0##?
With n = 0 [tex] \left(1-\frac{1}{0+1}\right)=0[/tex] then Z=1 in two cases. But its supposed to be 1 just in the case that the temperature is low [tex]kt\ll\epsilon[/tex]
I have tried some direct methods to find the limit of this function, but it turned out that the function is divergent. Then all of them became useless.

What I meant is take ##n=0## out of the sum in the low T limit, and you recover ##Z=1## as expected.

Likes quanlop93
DrClaude said:
What I meant is take ##n=0## out of the sum in the low T limit, and you recover ##Z=1## as expected.
Got it now. Thank you.

1. What is the limit of partition function?

The limit of partition function refers to the maximum number of ways in which the energy of a system can be distributed among its constituent particles. It represents the upper bound of the possible energy states that the system can occupy.

2. How is the limit of partition function calculated?

The limit of partition function is calculated by taking the logarithm of the total number of possible energy states of the system. This is known as the logarithmic limit of partition function and is denoted by lnΩ.

3. Why is the limit of partition function important in statistical mechanics?

The limit of partition function plays a crucial role in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as temperature, entropy, and free energy. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a system at different energy levels and in different physical conditions.

4. What happens when the limit of partition function approaches infinity?

When the limit of partition function approaches infinity, it means that the number of energy states available to the system becomes extremely large. This can happen in systems with a high number of particles or at high temperatures. In this case, the system becomes highly disordered and its entropy increases, leading to a decrease in its free energy.

5. How does the limit of partition function relate to the Boltzmann distribution?

The limit of partition function is directly related to the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the probability of a system being in a particular energy state. As the limit of partition function increases, the Boltzmann distribution becomes flatter, indicating a higher chance of the system occupying higher energy states.