1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of polar coordinates

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataI need to evaluate this limit by converting to polar coordinates:

lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of (x^2 + xy + y^2) / x^2 + y^2

2. Relevant equationsx = rcos(theta), y = rsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solutionSo switching to polar I get:

[(rcos(theta))^2 + rcos(theta)rsin(theta) + (rsin(theta))^2] / (rcos(theta))^2 + (rsin(theta))^2

By pulling out the r^2 from the the top of the equation and the bottom of the equation, they can cancel. Then the denominator is cos(theta)^2 + sin(theta)^2 which equals 1.

So we get the limit of cos(theta)^2 + cos(theta)sin(theta) + sin(theta)^2 but I dont know what to do from here because this is the limit as r goes to 0 and there is no r?

I'm kinda stuck here...what can I do? We didn't really get taught this so I could be missing something simple.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can simplify a little more down to 1+cos(theta)sin(theta). There is always the possible answer that the limit doesn't exist, right? What do you say in this case and why?

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Right I figured the limit did not exist. Does it have to do wiht the cos(theta)sin(theta)? So As r goes to 0, the function is just 1cos(theta)sin(theta) for whatever value of theta which will oscillate. Is that the correct way of thinking about it?

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at it this way. For the limit to exist the limit has to be independent of the way (x,y) approaches (0,0). If you set y=0, and let x->0, what's the limit. (This is the theta=0 case, right? Check it in your polar formula.) Now set y=x and let x->0. (This is the theta=pi/4 case. Try putting that into your polar formula as well.). So right, the limit does not exist. Because it depends on theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?