1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit of product of sequences

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate lim sqrt(n)*[sqrt(n+1)-sqrt(n)]

2. Relevant equations

sqrt(n)/[sqrt(n+1)+sqrt(n)] = 1/sqrt[1+(1/n)]+1

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that limit sqrt(n) = Infinity and that limit (sqrt(n+1)-sqrt(n)) = 0. And I know that sqrt(n)*(sqrt(n+1)-sqrt(n)) = sqrt(n)/(sqrt(n+1)+sqrt(n)).

I believe the limit of the product of these sequences is 1/2, but I am not sure how to get there. I need to do an epsilon proof of the limit and I am not sure how to solve the equation in 2. in terms of epsilon. Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    You can't find a limit using epsilon/delta.

Evaluating the limit is almost immediate after simple algebra [tex](a+b)(a-b)=a^2-b^2[/tex], and yes the limit is 1/2.

If you still want to prove it by definition you should for any given [tex]\epsilon>0\ find\ N>0\ so\ \forall\ n>N\ |a_n-1/2|<\epsilon [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What do you mean "how to solve the equation in 2 in terms of epsilon"? You can get that equation using estro's hint and use it to show that the limit of the sequence is indeed equal to 1/2 as n goes to infinity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook