1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of sequence

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the limit of [itex]n^2(e^\frac{1}{n^2} - cos(\frac{1}{n}))[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

since cos(1/n) is asymptotic to 1. [itex]n^2(e^\frac{1}{n^2} - cos(\frac{1}{n}))[/itex] ~ [itex]n^2(e^\frac{1}{n^2} - 1)[/itex] ~ [itex]n^2 \frac{1}{n^2})[/itex] = 1
    The right answer is 3/2 though. I don't see what's wrong with my reasoning. Maybe i used asymptotic in an illegitimate way. What's the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to be a little more careful than that.
    Try switching over to x = 1/n, then it will be the limit for x going to zero.
    If you expand both terms inside the brackets in a series around 0, you can throw away terms of order x4 and you will arrive at the right answer.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks, that way i solved it.
    I also found what i did wrong with asymptotic. I though that when a sequence is asymptotic with another you could just substitute one with the other. But it's not true. in this case. [itex]cos(1/n) [/itex]~ [itex]1[/itex] but [itex]e^\frac{1}{n^2} - cos(\frac{1}{n})[/itex] ~[itex] \frac{3}{2} e^\frac{1}{n^2} - 1[/itex].

[itex]e^\frac{1}{n^2} - cos(\frac{1}{n})[/itex] ~[itex]e^\frac{1}{n^2} - 1[/itex] This is not true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook