Find Limit of an in Series with a0,a1 & n

In summary, the homework statement asks for an equation in terms of a0, a1, and n. The equation can be found by taking the limit of an equation in terms of a0 and a1.
cdummie

Homework Statement

If we have a number sequence such that: a0, a1 are given, and every other element is given as ##a_n=\frac{(a_{n-1} + a_{n-2})}{2} then express an in terms of a0, a1 and n , and fin the limit of an

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If i try to express a3 in terms of a1 and a0 and then a4 in terms of a3 and a2 (using the a2 i previously expressed in terms of a1 and a0 ) and going so on with next elements up to an element, that isn't actually a good idea, since i am supposed to express it only using a1 and a0, no an-1 and stuff. So if i try to find a2 - a1, then a3 - a2 all the way to the an - an-1 i would have something like this:

## a_2 - a_1= - \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2} \\ a_3 - a_2= \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^2} \\ \vdots \\ a_n - a_{n-1} = (-1)^{n-1} \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^{n-1}} ##

If i sum up all of these, i actually have:
## a_n - a_1 = -\frac{a_1 - a_0}{2} + \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^2} - \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^3} + \cdots +(-1)^{n-1} \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^{n-1}} ##

Which is what i need to have, i should just "move" a_1 to the RHS but i don't know how to simplify that series so that i could find a limit of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "[itex]a_1[/itex]" on the left is not really important. What is important is that the right side is a geometric series, [itex]\sum_{i=0}^n ar^i[/itex] with [itex]a= a_1- a_0[/itex] and common factor [itex]-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. After you have taken that sum, then add [itex]a_1[/itex] to both sides.

Likes cdummie
cdummie said:
If i try to express a3 in terms of a1 and a0 and then...
But you want it in terms of a1 and a0 , not a2 etc.
So:
$$a_0, \ a_1, \ {a_0 + a_1 \over 2}, \ { a_1 + {a_0 + a_1 \over 2} \over 2} , \ {{a_0 + a_1 \over 2} + \ { a_1 + {a_0 + a_1 \over 2} \over 2} \over 2 }. \ ... $$and that you can easily generalize, which is exactly what is asked from you.

:smile: I see Ivy has already spoiled the thing for you. Pity. :frown:

HallsofIvy said:
The "[itex]a_1[/itex]" on the left is not really important. What is important is that the right side is a geometric series, [itex]\sum_{i=0}^n ar^i[/itex] with [itex]a= a_1- a_0[/itex] and common factor [itex]-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. After you have taken that sum, then add [itex]a_1[/itex] to both sides.

Well, i think i understand the idea, but the fact that sings are switching is confusing me, i mean, when i have something like this: ## \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{2k}## (which is almost exactly the same as in this case, except for the (-1)k part) then it's simple:
##
\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \frac{1}{2k} = \frac{1-\frac{1}{2^n}}{1-\frac{1}{2}}## So, what can i do about that ##(-1)^k## ?

Do you know matrix diagonalization?

micromass said:
Do you know matrix diagonalization?
Matrix diagonalization? I know that if i have upper or lower triangular matrix that determinant of such matrix is product of elements on the diagonal, if that's what you meant.

cdummie said:

Homework Statement

If we have a number sequence such that: a0, a1 are given, and every other element is given as ##a_n=\frac{(a_{n-1} + a_{n-2})}{2} then express an in terms of a0, a1 and n , and fin the limit of an

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If i try to express a3 in terms of a1 and a0 and then a4 in terms of a3 and a2 (using the a2 i previously expressed in terms of a1 and a0 ) and going so on with next elements up to an element, that isn't actually a good idea, since i am supposed to express it only using a1 and a0, no an-1 and stuff. So if i try to find a2 - a1, then a3 - a2 all the way to the an - an-1 i would have something like this:

## a_2 - a_1= - \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2} \\ a_3 - a_2= \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^2} \\ \vdots \\ a_n - a_{n-1} = (-1)^{n-1} \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^{n-1}} ##

If i sum up all of these, i actually have:
## a_n - a_1 = -\frac{a_1 - a_0}{2} + \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^2} - \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^3} + \cdots +(-1)^{n-1} \frac{a_1 - a_0}{2^{n-1}} ##

Which is what i need to have, i should just "move" a_1 to the RHS but i don't know how to simplify that series so that i could find a limit of it.

The solution of the recurrence can be obtained using a standard method for such a "constant coefficient" problem. If we assume a solution of the form ##a_n = c r^n## (with constant ##c##), then the recursion ##a_{n+2} = (a_{n+1} + a_n)/2## yields ##r^n \,r^2 = r^n \,(1+r)/2 ##, hence ##r^2 = (1+r)/2## and so ##r = 1,-1/2##. That implies ##a_n = A 1^n + B(-1/2)^n = A + B\,(-1/2)^n##. Find ##A## and ##B## by using the given conditions at ##n = 0## and ##n = 1##.

Note: you can easily check that for any constants ##A,B## the form ##a_n = A + B \,(-1/2)^n## satisfies the recursion.

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit of an in series with a0, a1, and n?

The purpose of finding the limit of an in series with a0, a1, and n is to determine the value that the series approaches as n (the number of terms) approaches infinity. This value is known as the limit of the series and can provide important information about the behavior of the series.

2. How do you find the limit of an in series with a0, a1, and n?

To find the limit of an in series with a0, a1, and n, you can use the formula for the sum of a geometric series: S = a0/(1-r), where a0 is the first term and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms. Plug in the values of a0, a1, and n, and simplify to find the limit.

3. What if the series does not have a common ratio?

If the series does not have a common ratio, it is not a geometric series and the formula above cannot be used. In this case, you can try using other methods such as finding the partial sums of the series or using the ratio test to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

4. Can the limit of an in series with a0, a1, and n be negative?

Yes, the limit of an in series with a0, a1, and n can be negative. The limit represents the value that the series approaches, regardless of whether it is positive or negative.

5. Why is it important to find the limit of a series?

It is important to find the limit of a series because it can provide information about the convergence or divergence of the series. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the series is convergent and its sum can be determined. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the series is divergent and its sum cannot be calculated.