1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of serverable variables, need help

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (x,y)---> (0,0)
    x²+y²/√(x²+y²+1) - 1

the -1 isnt in the square root, so people know

3. The attempt at a solution
    i let y=o and got 2, and y=x² and x=y² and got 2, so how can i be sure this limit is 2, what other method must i try to be sure ?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2
    What exactly is the limit going to??? And your problem is very hard to interpret ... might want to re-type that with proper parenthesis.

let x=y

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But is it in the denominator? Is this [itex](x^2+ y^2)/(\sqrt{x^2+ y^2})+ 1[/itex] or [itex](x^2+ y^2)/(\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}+ 1)[/itex] ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    i let y=o and got 2, and y=x² and x=y² and got 2, so how can i be sure this limit is 2, what other method must i try to be sure ?[/QUOTE]
    One way to check is to change to polar coordinates. Since only r measures "distance to (0,0), if the limit, as r goes to 0, does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex], that is the limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?