Convergence of sin(2n)/(n*ln(n)^2): Comparison Test or Integral Test?

• Thread starter Mikabird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the convergence or divergence of the series \Sigma sin(2n)/(n*ln(n)^2) from n=2 to \infty. The speaker suggests using the comparison test and mentions the possibility of using L'hopital's rule. They also mention using the integral test to find the limit of the sequence. The conversation also touches on the use of the triangle inequality and the absolute values of the series to determine convergence. Finally, it is concluded that the series is absolutely convergent.
Mikabird

Homework Statement

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] sin(2n)/(n*ln(n)^2) from n=2 to [tex]\infty[/tex] Determine if the summation converges or diverges.

Homework Equations

I cannot even figure out where to start. Should I use the Comparison Test?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I could compare it to sin(2x)/2x but when n=2, sin(2x)/2x is too small.
Where am I messing up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The comparison test among others only tests whether the sum converges. If you have to find the limit of the sequence, you need to try something else, probably with L'hopital's rule.

oops, I meant find whether the summation converges or diverges. Thanks.

Then I think the easiest would be finding another series with which to compare the original one and then use the integral test.

Bohrok said:
The comparison test among others only tests whether the sum converges.
This is not true. The comparison test can be used also to test a series that diverges.

The key to using the comparison test is to have a good idea first whether a series converges or diverges.

In the following, I'm assuming that you're dealing with a series of nonnegative terms. If you are reasonably sure that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges, and cn is the general term in a convergent series, and an <= cn, then your series converges.

On the other hand, if you believe that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] diverges, and dn is the general term in a divergent series, and an >= dn, then your series diverges.

You're right, and I've no excuse for not remembering to include that they test for divergence. :redface:

This is easy, because the series is absolutely convergent. By the triangle inequality, the absolute value of a summation is equal to or less than the summation of the absolute values. Then you can use that |sin(2n)| < 1. Since the summation of 1/[n ln^2(n)] converges (e.g. use the integral test), you find that the summation converges.

1. What is the limit of sin(2x) as x approaches 0?

The limit of sin(2x) as x approaches 0 is 0. This can be seen by plugging in 0 for x in the limit expression, which results in sin(0) = 0.

2. How do you find the limit of sin(2x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of sin(2x) as x approaches infinity does not exist. This is because the sine function oscillates between -1 and 1 as x increases without bound, meaning it does not approach a single value.

3. What is the limit of ln(x) as x approaches 1?

The limit of ln(x) as x approaches 1 is 0. This can be seen by plugging in 1 for x in the limit expression, which results in ln(1) = 0.

4. Can the limit of ln(x) as x approaches 0 be evaluated?

No, the limit of ln(x) as x approaches 0 does not exist. This is because the natural logarithm function is not defined for x = 0, and as x approaches 0 from the positive side, the function approaches negative infinity, while approaching positive infinity from the negative side.

5. How do you find the limit of ln(x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of ln(x) as x approaches infinity is infinity. This can be seen by plugging in a large value for x in the limit expression, which results in ln(large number) = infinity. This is because the natural logarithm function grows without bound as x increases without bound.