1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of (sin 5x)/x

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    [tex]f(x) = -50x^2+5[/tex]
    [tex]g(x) = (sin 5x)/x[/tex]
    [tex]h(x) = x^2+5[/tex]

I'm trying to find the limit of g(x) as x --> 0

I know that f(x) and h(x) are less than and greater than, respectively, than g(x) but I am unsure how to prove that w/o abusing the concept of infinity. How would I prove this so that i can show that

[tex]f(x)\leqq g(x) \leqq h(x)[/tex]

and use the squeeze theorem to show that the limit as x --> 0 for g(x) = 5 because it's also 5 for f(x) and h(x)? Alternatively, I'm sure, is there a better way to go about this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2
    [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin (5x)}{x} = \left(\frac{d}{dx} \sin (5x)\right) \biggr |_{x =0} = 5\cos{0} = 5.[/tex]

Of course, you have to know a bunch of things to be able to use that to start with. Another easy way, if you already know

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex]

then just multiply top and bottom of your limit by [itex]5[/itex] and note that [itex]x\rightarrow 0 \Longleftrightarrow 5x \rightarrow 0[/itex].

There's a thread on a similar limit in the math section that might give you some ideas (there's a geometrically motivated proof there too, using the squeeze theorem, if you want to do it that way):

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?