What is the Limit of Sum of Exponential as n Approaches Infinity?

In summary: Also, one can use the fact that for large n, e^sqrt(n) is a good approximation for the sum from k=0 to n of e^sqrt(k). One can then use the Euler-Maclaurin formula to get a good estimate for the error term, which should be small compared to the denominator.
dakongyi

Homework Statement

consider {sum from k=0 to n of e^(sqrt(k))}/{2sqrt(n)e^(sqrt)}.how to prove that the limit when n approaches infinity is 1?
or in latex form,
\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}}{2\sqrt{n}e^{\sqrt{n}}}=1

Homework Equations

Nil

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use logarithm to remove the exponential, but failed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physicsforums!

That expression unfortunately is very hard to read in that form :( To get the LaTeX working on this forum, you must use the [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags, without the spaces.

I'll do that now, then try to help =]

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\sum_{v=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}}{2\sqrt{n} e{\sqrt{n}}}=1[/tex]

EDIT: Ok it seems you meant;

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}}{2\sqrt{n} e^{\sqrt{n}}}=1[/tex]

thanks for the help. i need the second equation, thanks for the edit :)

it seems that the [tex]2\sqrt{n}[/tex] comes from the derivative of [tex]e^\sqrt{n}[/tex], but i couldn't think of anyway to make use of differentiation.

Replace [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}[/tex] with [tex]\int_{0}^{n} e^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex] since it has the same behavior for large n (just like in the integral test for convergence). Now use l'Hopital.

Dick said:
Replace [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}[/tex] with [tex]\int_{0}^{n} e^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex] since it has the same behavior for large n (just like in the integral test for convergence). Now use l'Hopital.
Could you explain how this step is justified?

Actually it seems to me that
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}} - \int_{0}^{n} e^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]
is diverging :confused:

CompuChip said:
Actually it seems to me that
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}} - \int_{0}^{n} e^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]
is diverging :confused:

Actually, I was hoping no one would ask for a detailed justification. Yes, the difference probably is divergent. But I think the denominator is even more divergent. One would have to show that the difference is small compared to the denominator. I'll try and come up with a good argument in a bit.

Ok, try this. Apply l'Hopital first, using finite differences instead of derivatives. The difference between the nth partial sum and the (n-1)th partial sum in the numerator is e^(sqrt(n)). The difference between the value of the denominator at n and at n-1 is 2sqrt(n)e^sqrt(n)-2sqrt(n-1)e^sqrt(n-1). For large n I would approximate the denominator using a difference quotient for the derivative of 2sqrt(n)e^sqrt(n). There. That's the same thing, except I'm not making any claim that the integral 'approximates' the sum.

Ok, now you're going ask how do I know the difference quotient can be approximated by a derivative. Skip that. Just directly show that the differences above approach the desired limit. It's the same machinery you'd use to show the difference quotient can be approximated by a derivative.

guess you are using Stolz-Cesàro theorem. oh, now i need to prove that theorem? :rofl: thanks for the help, i will try to prove that Stolz-Cesàro theorem...

if i apply what you said, i will need to prove
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{e^{\sqrt{n}}}{2\sqrt{n}e^{\sqrt{n}}-2\sqrt{n-1}e^{{\sqrt{n-1}}}}=1[/tex]
which gives
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}-2\sqrt{n-1}e^{{\sqrt{n-1}-\sqrt{n}}}}=1[/tex]
it then suffies to show that
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}{2\sqrt{n}-2\sqrt{n-1}e^{{\sqrt{n-1}-\sqrt{n}}}}=1[/tex]
i couldn't proceed from here. any hints?

Last edited:
sqrt(n-1)-sqrt(n)=-1/(sqrt(n-1)+sqrt(n)). Expand the exponential to first order. Oh, yeah, Stolz-Cesaro, that one. I figured it must have a name, but I didn't know it.

I got it. A million thanks to those who helped. :smile:

What is the limit of the sum of exponential functions?

The limit of the sum of exponential functions is determined by the largest exponential function in the sum. This means that if the largest exponential function has a positive exponent, the limit will be infinity. If the largest exponential function has a negative exponent, the limit will be zero.

How do you find the limit of the sum of two exponential functions?

To find the limit of the sum of two exponential functions, you can use the rule of limits which states that the limit of a sum is equal to the sum of the limits. This means that you can find the limit of each exponential function separately and then add them together to get the overall limit.

Can the limit of the sum of exponential functions be negative?

Yes, the limit of the sum of exponential functions can be negative. This can happen if the sum includes exponential functions with negative exponents, or if the sum has a combination of positive and negative exponential functions that cancel each other out.

What happens to the limit of the sum of exponential functions as the exponent increases?

The limit of the sum of exponential functions will increase as the exponent increases. This is because the larger the exponent, the faster the function grows. As a result, the limit will approach infinity as the exponent increases, unless there are other factors in the function that limit its growth.

Are there any special cases when finding the limit of the sum of exponential functions?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the limit of the sum of exponential functions. For example, if the sum has an infinite number of terms, the limit may not exist. Additionally, if the exponents of the exponential functions are fractions or irrational numbers, the limit may require more advanced techniques to be determined.