1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of sum of exponential

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider {sum from k=0 to n of e^(sqrt(k))}/{2sqrt(n)e^(sqrt)}.how to prove that the limit when n approaches infinity is 1?
    or in latex form,
    \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}}{2\sqrt{n}e^{\sqrt{n}}}=1

2. Relevant equations
    Nil

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use logarithm to remove the exponential, but failed.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Welcome to Physicsforums!

That expression unfortunately is very hard to read in that form :( To get the LaTeX working on this forum, you must use the [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags, without the spaces.

I'll do that now, then try to help =]

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\sum_{v=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}}{2\sqrt{n} e{\sqrt{n}}}=1[/tex]

EDIT: Ok it seems you meant;

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}}{2\sqrt{n} e^{\sqrt{n}}}=1[/tex]

4. Jan 7, 2008 #3
    thanks for the help. i need the second equation, thanks for the edit :)

5. Jan 7, 2008 #4
    it seems that the [tex]2\sqrt{n}[/tex] comes from the derivative of [tex]e^\sqrt{n}[/tex], but i couldn't think of anyway to make use of differentiation.

6. Jan 7, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Replace [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}}[/tex] with [tex]\int_{0}^{n} e^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex] since it has the same behavior for large n (just like in the integral test for convergence). Now use l'Hopital.

7. Jan 7, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Could you explain how this step is justified?

8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually it seems to me that
    [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n}e^{\sqrt{k}} - \int_{0}^{n} e^{\sqrt{x}}dx[/tex]
    is diverging :confused:

9. Jan 7, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I was hoping no one would ask for a detailed justification. Yes, the difference probably is divergent. But I think the denominator is even more divergent. One would have to show that the difference is small compared to the denominator. I'll try and come up with a good argument in a bit.

10. Jan 7, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, try this. Apply l'Hopital first, using finite differences instead of derivatives. The difference between the nth partial sum and the (n-1)th partial sum in the numerator is e^(sqrt(n)). The difference between the value of the denominator at n and at n-1 is 2sqrt(n)e^sqrt(n)-2sqrt(n-1)e^sqrt(n-1). For large n I would approximate the denominator using a difference quotient for the derivative of 2sqrt(n)e^sqrt(n). There. That's the same thing, except I'm not making any claim that the integral 'approximates' the sum.

11. Jan 7, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, now you're going ask how do I know the difference quotient can be approximated by a derivative. Skip that. Just directly show that the differences above approach the desired limit. It's the same machinery you'd use to show the difference quotient can be approximated by a derivative.

12. Jan 7, 2008 #11
    guess you are using Stolz-Cesàro theorem. oh, now i need to prove that theorem? :rofl: thanks for the help, i will try to prove that Stolz-Cesàro theorem...

13. Jan 7, 2008 #12
    if i apply what you said, i will need to prove
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{e^{\sqrt{n}}}{2\sqrt{n}e^{\sqrt{n}}-2\sqrt{n-1}e^{{\sqrt{n-1}}}}=1[/tex]
    which gives
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}-2\sqrt{n-1}e^{{\sqrt{n-1}-\sqrt{n}}}}=1[/tex]
    it then suffies to show that
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}{2\sqrt{n}-2\sqrt{n-1}e^{{\sqrt{n-1}-\sqrt{n}}}}=1[/tex]
    i couldn't proceed from here. any hints?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  14. Jan 7, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sqrt(n-1)-sqrt(n)=-1/(sqrt(n-1)+sqrt(n)). Expand the exponential to first order. Oh, yeah, Stolz-Cesaro, that one. I figured it must have a name, but I didn't know it.

15. Jan 7, 2008 #14
    I got it. A million thanks to those who helped. :smile:

16. Jan 8, 2008 #15

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?