Solving a Limit with Multiple Fractions

In summary, to identify the type of limit with multiple fractions, you need to look at the highest power of the variable in the numerator and denominator. The first step in solving a limit with multiple fractions is to factor out the common factors in both the numerator and the denominator. To simplify the expression in a limit with multiple fractions, you can use properties of fractions and algebraic techniques. If you encounter a denominator of 0 in a limit with multiple fractions, you can factor and cancel out common factors, or use the concept of limits to approach the value from both sides of the vertical asymptote. To check if you have solved the limit correctly, you can plug in the value you approached the limit towards and see if the expression gives a finite
twoflower
Hi all, I've been fighting with this limit:

[tex]
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{2^2} + \frac{5}{2^3} + \frac{7}{2^4} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^n} \right)
[/tex]

What I did so far:

[tex]

\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{2^2} + \frac{5}{2^3} + \frac{7}{2^4} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^n} \right)
= \\
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \left( 1 + \frac{3}{2} + \frac{5}{2^2} + \frac{7}{2^3} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^{n-1}} \right) \right)
= \\
\frac{1}{2} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{3}{2} + \frac{5}{2^2} + \frac{7}{2^3} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^{n-1}} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\\
= \frac{1}{2} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{2} \left( 3 + \frac{5}{2} + \frac{7}{2^2} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^{n-2}} \right) \right)
= \frac{1}{2} \left( \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 1 + \frac{1}{2} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 3 + \frac{5}{2} + \frac{7}{2^2} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^{n-2}} \right) \right)
=
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 3 + \frac{5}{2} + \frac{7}{2^2} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^{n-2}} \right) \right)
=
\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( 3 \left( 1 + \frac{5}{6} + \frac{7}{12} + \frac{9}{24} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{3.2^{n-2}} \right) \right)
[/tex]

And with similar adjustments I got this:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{4} + \frac{9}{8} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{5}{9} + \frac{7}{18} + \frac{9}{36} + ... + \frac{4n-2}{9.2^{n-2}} \right) \right)
[/tex]

But here I finished :confused: .

Do I have the right approach? And if yes, how to complete it? If not, why? :smile:

Thank you for your suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite your initial series as follows:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\frac{2i+1}{2^{i+1}}=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\frac{i}{2^{i}}+\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\frac{1}{2^{i+1}}[/tex]
the last sum is a simple, geometric series, which shouldn't pose any problems.

As for the first, use the following trick:
Let:
[tex]F_{n}(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}x^{i}, F(x)=\lim_{n\to\infty}F_{n}(x)=\frac{1}{1-x},|x|<1[/tex]
Now, G(x)=xF'(x) equals:
[tex]G(x)=xF'(x)=x\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}{i}x^{i-1}=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}ix^{i}[/tex]

Note that your limit is simply [tex]G(\frac{1}{2})[/tex]
Hence, your solution of the first sum is obtained from:
[tex]G(x)=x\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{1-x}=\frac{x}{(1-x)^{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you arildno, very interesting trick. However, this limit was certainly not supposed to be solved using derivatives, because we didn't have them so far. Do you think there is another way to find out this limit?

Not that I can think of right now, at least..
It seems rather difficult to do it without the trick mentioned
(I'd be interested if someone comes up with an alternative)

rewrite as:

[tex]\left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{2^2} + \frac{5}{2^3} + \frac{7}{2^4} + ... + \frac{2n - 1}{2^n} \right) = \left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{2^3} + \frac{1}{2^4} + ... + \frac{1}{2^n} \right)+\left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{2^2} + \frac{3}{2^3} + ... + \frac{n-1}{2^{n-1}} \right)
[/tex]

The left sum is just a geometric series, the right sum you can break up as:

[tex]\left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{2^2} + \frac{3}{2^3} + ... + \frac{n-1}{2^{n-1}} \right)=\left( \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{2^3} + ... + \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} \right)+\left(\frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{2^3} + ... + \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} \right)+ ... +\left(\frac{1}{2^{n-1}} \right)[/tex]

So it becomes a sum of geometric series. Use the usual formula for these and you can end up with a rather nice formula, part of it will be another geometric series and part will go to zero as n goes off to infinity.

There is another solution:

Let S[n]=∑ k=1 to n (2k-1)/2k

S1[n]=∑ k=1 to n k/2k-1

S2[n]=∑ k=1 to n 1/2k=1-(1/2)n

We have:

n=1 ---> S1[1]=1/(20)

n=2 ---> S1=4/(21)

n=3 ---> S1=11/(22)

n=4 ---> S1=26/(23)

n=5 ---> S1=57/(24)

In general S1[n]=a[n]/2n-1

where a[1]=1,a[2]=4,a[3]=11,a[ 4 ]=26,a[5]=57,a[6]=120 ...

Without entering in details (it's enough easy to show this) the recurrence equation of this sequence is:

a[n]-2a[n-1]+a[n-2]=2n-1

The general solution of this (the closed form in 'n' more exactly) has the form:

a[n]=C1+C2*n+C3*2n-1

Solving for n=1,n=2 and n=3 ---> C1=-2 C2=-1 C3=4

Thus a[n]=4*2n-1-(n+2)

Therefore S1[n]=a[n]/2n-1=4-{(n+2)/2n-1}

S2[n]=1-(1/2)n

But S[n]=S1[n]-S2[n] ---> limn-> ∞ S[n]=3

Last edited:

1. How do I identify the type of limit with multiple fractions?

To identify the type of limit with multiple fractions, you need to look at the highest power of the variable in the numerator and denominator. If the highest power is the same in both, then it is a rational limit. If the highest power in the numerator is greater than the denominator, it is a horizontal asymptote limit. If the highest power in the denominator is greater than the numerator, it is a vertical asymptote limit.

2. What is the first step in solving a limit with multiple fractions?

The first step in solving a limit with multiple fractions is to factor out the common factors in both the numerator and the denominator. This will simplify the expression and make it easier to work with.

3. How do I simplify the expression in a limit with multiple fractions?

To simplify the expression in a limit with multiple fractions, you can use the properties of fractions such as finding the LCD (lowest common denominator) and combining fractions with the same denominator. You can also use algebraic techniques such as factoring, cancelling out common factors, and simplifying complex fractions.

4. What do I do if I have a denominator of 0 in a limit with multiple fractions?

If you encounter a denominator of 0 in a limit with multiple fractions, it means you have a vertical asymptote. To solve this, you can factor both the numerator and denominator and see if there are any common factors that can be cancelled out. If not, you can use the concept of limits to approach the value of the limit from both sides of the vertical asymptote.

5. How do I know if I have solved the limit correctly?

You can check if you have solved the limit correctly by plugging in the value you approached the limit towards and see if the expression gives a finite value. If it does, then you have solved the limit correctly. Additionally, you can also use graphing calculators or online limit calculators to verify your answer.