1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of this sequence.

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    I have a sequence {xn} defined by

xn = 1/n[1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n]
    for all natural numbers n.

I want to show that this sequence converges to 0, i.e. given any positive real number 'r', I want to show that there exists a natural number k such that xk < r. (The sequence is monotonically decreasing.)

Help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find an upper bound for [1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n] using an integral to estimate it. That would be a good start.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. Aug 22, 2011 #3
    Alternatively, you could prove the general case:
    [tex]
    a_n \rightarrow a \Rightarrow \frac{1}{n} \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_k \rightarrow a
    [/tex]

5. Aug 22, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

How about an application of the sandwich theorem.

6. Aug 23, 2011 #5
    Hi!
    [1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n] is always less than [1+ln(n)] ?
    implying that my sequence is less that [1/n + (1/n)*ln(n)] which I believe converges to 0.

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All true. But how did you show the sum is less than 1+ln(n)? And 'believing' [1/n + (1/n)*ln(n)] converges to zero doesn't prove it does. How would you show that?

8. Aug 24, 2011 #7
    Isn't it something like the integral test? It was kinda obvious from the diagram.
    And lim [x^x] -> 1 as x->0 follows from L'Hopital's rule. (The log of the limit is 0)

9. Aug 24, 2011 #8
    you could use the divergence test

10. Aug 24, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is l'Hopital, but I don't see what x^x has to do with it. And yes, the integral part is sort of obvious from a lower sum estimate of 1/x. If you don't want to actually spell out the details, that's fine with me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook