Limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2)

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E^x Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a function as x tends to infinity, using Stirling's formula to solve the problem, and the extension of factorial to real numbers and its relationship to the gamma function. It is also mentioned that the derivative of the factorial function can be expressed in terms of the digamma function.
roger
hi ,

1.)how do I find the limit of (x! e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) as x tends to infinity ?

2.)and is f(x)= x! a function ? if so, how do I find the derivative ?

thanks for any help

Roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sterling's formula says limit [tex]n!=\frac{n^n}{e^n}\sqrt{2n\pi}[/tex] We need only substitute X for n, since the function is continuous for positive X, to work your problem.

robert Ihnot said:
Sterling's formula says limit [tex]n!=\frac{n^n}{e^n}\sqrt{2n\pi}[/tex] We need only substitute X for n, since the function is continuous for positive X, to work your problem.

I thought about saying this, but then I wondered whether the point of Roger's problem is to derive Stirling's formula.

Regards,
George

A standard extension of factorial to all real numbers except the negative integers is by way of the gamma function. Then [itex]\Gamma (x + 1) = x![/itex]. One way to derive Stirling's formula is by using the standard integral representation of the gamma function. A couple of the steps are, however, not completely obvious.

Regards,
George

thanks for your help

Can I find the limit without using sterlings formula ?

When I learned about Sterling's formula it was a graduate course and the professor put the derivation on the board. It is not that simple. Note the presence of [tex]\sqrt(2n\pi)[/tex]. This frquently means the use of complex integration, but not here: http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/Stat_Inst/PDFS/appndx_1.pdf

Last edited:
interesting formula

George Jones said:
A standard extension of factorial to all real numbers except the negative integers is by way of the gamma function. Then [itex]\Gamma (x + 1) = x![/itex]. One way to derive Stirling's formula is by using the standard integral representation of the gamma function. A couple of the steps are, however, not completely obvious.

Regards,
George

Thanks for the information.

Does the extension to real numbers excluding negative, mean that the factorial becomes 'continuous' so that a derivative exists ?

roger said:
Does the extension to real numbers excluding negative, mean that the factorial becomes 'continuous' so that a derivative exists ?
Yes and its usually expressed in terms of digamma function.

-- AI

1. What is the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) as x approaches infinity is infinity.

2. How do you calculate the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2)?

To calculate the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2), you can use L'Hôpital's rule or algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression before taking the limit.

3. Is the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) a finite number?

No, the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) is not a finite number. It is either infinity or undefined, depending on the values of x.

4. What is the significance of the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2)?

The limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) has applications in calculus and can help us understand the behavior of functions as x approaches infinity.

5. Can the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) be evaluated at x=0?

No, the limit of (x e^x) / (x^x *x^1/2) is undefined at x=0. This is because the denominator becomes 0, making the expression indeterminate.