1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of x^n where 0<x<1

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Almost like the title says : Let [tex]f_n (x)=x^n[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]. Find the pointwise limit of [tex]f_n[/tex] and show that the convergence is not uniform.
    What happens if [tex]x \in [0,1)[/tex]?

2. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\lim _{n \to \infty} f_n = \lim _{n \to \infty} x^n = 0[/tex] if [tex]x[/tex] is strictly lesser than [tex]1[/tex] and it's worth [tex]1[/tex] if [tex]x[/tex] equals [tex]1[/tex]. (I wonder if I have to prove it via the definition of limits).
    I don't have much ideas about the non uniform convergence. Checking up some wikipedia, I think that if I can show that if [tex]a_n[/tex] does not tend to [tex]0[/tex] when [tex]n[/tex] tends to [tex]\infty[/tex], I'm done. Where [tex]a_n=sup |f_n (x)-f(x)|[/tex].
    I get that [tex]a_n = sup |x(x^{n-1}-1)|[/tex] but I think it's worth [tex]0[/tex], hence implying the uniform convergence of [tex]f_n[/tex]...

Answering the last question : By intuition the convergence is uniform.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2
    The convergence is pointwise because the convergence of the sequence depends on what points of x you choose. Choosing x in [0,1), x=1, and x > 1 gives you a different limit.
    You can use the definition of uniform convergence here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_convergence#Definition. If you are having trouble with pointwise vs. uniform convergence, compare the position of the phrase 'for all x in S' in the two definitions.

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks, I'll try my best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook