Limit of x^x as x approaches 0

• Thread starter marshmellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 and how it can be proven to be 1. It also mentions the fact that this does not prove the uniqueness of 0^0 as the limit of x^y while both x and y tend to 0. The conversation ends with someone providing a helpful hint and offering encouragement to the original poster, who is struggling with the concept.
marshmellow
Though I know that the limit as x approaches 0 of x^x is 1, I can't prove it...

...can anyone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint: ask yourself what x to the 0 power is.

Likes Stormy Sea
hint write
x^x=exp(log(x)/(1/x))

Likes 101pritam
Hello marshmellow
certainly you will succeed in proving that the limit for x^x is 1 while x tends to 0.
But remember, this doesn't prove that 0^0 = 1 and most certainly not the uniqueness of 0^0 as limit of x^y while both x and y tend to 0.

http://pokit.etf.ba/get/e57018aced28181afefff3a8e5a3e402.jpg

there you go, njoy

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much, I'm actually quite disappointed i can't think that creatively

I am first year electrical engineering, this is trivial for me, I have to know much more complicated things (: so don't be disappointed

What is the limit of x^x as x approaches 0?

The limit of x^x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1. This can be determined by using L'Hopital's rule or by taking the limit as x approaches 0 from both the left and right sides of the function.

Why is the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 equal to 1?

The limit of x^x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1 because as x gets closer and closer to 0, the value of x^x approaches 1. This can be seen by graphing the function or by using small values of x to evaluate the limit.

Is the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 undefined?

No, the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 is not undefined. It is equal to 1, as explained by the definition of a limit and the behavior of the function as x approaches 0.

Can the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 be calculated using algebra?

No, the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 cannot be calculated using algebra. It requires the use of calculus, specifically L'Hopital's rule, to determine the limit.

What is the significance of the limit of x^x as x approaches 0?

The limit of x^x as x approaches 0 has significance in the study of calculus and the behavior of functions. It also has applications in areas such as economics and biology.