Find Limit of z with Polar Coordinates & L'Hopital's Rule

• Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, to find the limit of (x^2 + y^2)*ln(x^2+y^2) as (x,y) approaches (0,0), you can use a coordinate transformation to switch to polar coordinates and then apply L'Hopital's rule for infinity/infinity. This will result in the limit being equal to 1.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

use polar coordinates and L'hopital's rule to find the limit:
Lim (x,y) -> (0,0) of (x2 + y2)*ln(x2+y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told in class we couldn't use l'hopital because of the multivariable thing, and I was also told the coordinate switch from rectangular to polar wasn't possible. I'm not sure if the problem is a trick question, because if I can't use L'hopital I would say the limit doesn't exist at (0,0) but how am i supposed to do this before the ideas of partial derivatives are introduced? How am I supposed to use L'Hopital's rule to help that is.
and when do I use the polar switch? before or after I take L'Hopital?
when I do switch over to polar should (x,y) become (rcos(θ),rsin(θ)) -> (0,0) or do I have to switch over from (0,0) to some other angle? am I picking an angle that simultaneously makes cos and sin zero? I don't think that one is possible, so perhaps I switch to something like (pi/2, pi) or (0,2pi) how do I choose between those? I could see sign errors arising if I make the wrong choice.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
"and I was also told the coordinate switch from rectangular to polar wasn't possible."
Who told you such a thing??
It is wrong; you can.

my professor, he probably was referring to the problem at hand, and that it wouldn't help get the correct answer. Maybe he misunderstood what I was asking him. So if I do use polar coordinates
lim (rcos(t), rsin(t)) -> (0,0) [rln(r)] = 0ln(0) still undefined, differentiate wrt r and I get ln(r) + 1 this seems to work since the answer is 1. I need r = 1 so ln(1)= 0 hmm

First, notice that when you switched to ##(rcos \theta, rsin \theta)## you put yourself back in one variable, so you could use L'Hospital's Rule.

Now your confusion about the angles. The ##\theta## is whatever is correct for the vector (x,y). For example what angle does the vector (1,1) make with the x-axis? That is your ##\theta## . The vector (2,2) makes the same angle, so what about it differs from (1,1) in polar coordinates? What is ##\theta## for the vector (2,1)?

Now your function ##(x^2 + y^2)*log(x^2 + y^2)## becomes what in polar coordinates? It is the function which is going to 0, not the vector components.

See if you can make some progress now.

I believe you must have misunderstood what your professor was saying.

The problem is perfectly well solvable by using first coordinate transformation, and then L'Hopital's rule (for infinity/infinity).

rln(r) may be written as ln(r)/(1/r), upon which you may use L'Hopital

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used to find limits?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points on a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin (r) and an angle from the positive x-axis (θ). They are used to find limits by converting a function in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, which can sometimes make it easier to evaluate the limit.

2. How do I convert a function from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert a function from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), use the following equations: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x). These equations will give you the corresponding r and θ values for a given (x,y) point.

3. What is L'Hopital's Rule and how does it help find limits?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical rule used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for a function f(x)/g(x), if the limit of the quotient of their derivatives exists, then that limit will be equal to the limit of the original function. This rule can be helpful in evaluating limits of polar coordinates that result in these indeterminate forms.

4. Can L'Hopital's Rule be applied to all limits with polar coordinates?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be applied to limits of indeterminate forms. If the limit of the quotient of the derivatives does not exist, then it cannot be used. In addition, L'Hopital's Rule may not always give the correct answer for limits in polar coordinates, so it should be used with caution.

5. Are there any other methods for finding limits with polar coordinates besides L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find limits with polar coordinates, such as substitution and using trigonometric identities. It is important to consider the specific function and its properties before deciding on the best method to use for evaluating the limit.