Limit of x^2y^2/(x^2+y^2) as (x,y) approaches (0,0)

In summary, to show that the multivariate limit does not exist, it is sufficient to check the single variable limits when treating one variable as a constant and the other as a variable. If the limits are not equal, then the multivariate limit does not exist. Additionally, converting the limit to polar form and using L'Hopital's rule can also be used to show non-existence of the limit.
Design

Homework Statement

Show that lim(x,y) -> (0,0) f(x,y) does not exist

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = x2 + y / (x2 + y2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x = rcosθ y=rsinθ

so f(x,y) = r2cos2θ + rsinθ / (r2cos2θ + r2sin2θ)1/2

= r(rcos2θ + sinθ) / ( r2 (cos2θ + sin2θ))1/2

= rcos2θ + sinθ

Don't know how to proceed the reasoning from here outthank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!
The simplest way to show a multivariate limit does not exist is to show that the partial limits do not converge to the same value, i.e. first you check what is the single variable limit if x is treated as a variable and y is treated as a constants and then check the single variable limit when y is the variable and x is the constant.
If the 2 limits are different, then the multivariate limit does not exist.
(the opposite is not always true, i.e. if the limits were the same it is still not sufficient to show that the multivariate limit exists).

P.S. please explain why you chose to check the limit by converting it to polar form? :)

That is how the prof showed it in class, So i don't know any other way of solving it.

When you mean treating 1 of them as a constant do i just take lim x->0 of
x2 + y (some constant) / (x2 + y2)1/2 and then using L'hopital's rule from there or what?

New solution : (Tell me if this works)

Consider f(x,0) and f(0,y)

Notice that when y =0
x2/ (x2)1/2 = x

Notice that when x=0
y/(y2)1/2 = 1

Since the limits differ, therefore limit DNE.

I think you got the idea (in your last post).

How would I show it when the limits actually exist? say x2y2/x2+y2 as as (x,y) -> (0,0)

1. What is a limit on two variables?

A limit on two variables refers to the value that a function approaches as the values of both variables approach a specific point. This point is usually denoted by (x,y) and is often referred to as a limit point.

2. How is a limit on two variables different from a limit on one variable?

A limit on one variable only considers the value of the function as the input variable approaches a specific point. In contrast, a limit on two variables considers the values of both input variables approaching a specific point simultaneously.

3. What is the importance of studying limits on two variables?

Studying limits on two variables is essential in understanding the behavior of functions in multivariable calculus. It allows us to determine the behavior of a function as both input variables change, which is crucial in many real-world applications.

4. How do you find the limit on two variables?

To find the limit on two variables, we must approach the limit point from various directions and see if the function approaches the same value. If the function approaches the same value, then the limit exists. If the function approaches different values, then the limit does not exist.

5. Can a limit on two variables be undefined?

Yes, a limit on two variables can be undefined if the function approaches different values as we approach the limit point from different directions. In this case, the limit does not exist, and the function is said to be discontinuous at that point.