1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit point.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Determine at least three limit points for the set {sin(n): n a positive integer}
    b)How many limit points does the set {sin(n): n a positive integer} have?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For a it seems that it wouldn't have a limit point because sin(n) would not converge to anything. On the other hand maybe its obvious and maybe 3 limit points would be
    sin(1), sin(2), sin(3) , now that I think about it, it seems like a tricky question.
    for part b, if sin(n) has 3 limit points then it seems like the set would have an infinite amount of points.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_point we have that x is a limit point of A={sin(n): n a positive integer} if every neighborhood of x has another element of A different from x. So if you can show that you can approximate x as closely as you wish with elements taken from A, then you have a limit point there. I think three natural points to try to show are limit points are 0,1,-1.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    so really and point in [-1,1] should be a limit point because i can get as close as I want to any point in there with the sin(n), can points in my set {sin(n)} where n is a natural number.
    be a limit point?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook