Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit points homework help

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    i just ran into a hard problem, may be any of you guy can help...
    prove that if the point p is a limit point of H U K where H and K are point sets, then p is a limit point of H or p is a limit point of K.
    Given definition of a limit point is: a point p is said to be a limit point of a point set M if every region containing p contains a point of M distinct from p.
    Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So there is a sequence in HuK tending to p. It must have a subsequnce lying in either H or K, musn't it?

4. Dec 6, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not really a "set" problem is it? I assume you have a topology on a set having H and K as subsets and a "region" is an open set in that topology.

Suppose p is a limit point of HUK. Then, by definition, each region of p (every open set containing p) contains a point of HUK different from p.

If p is a limit point of H, we are done so we can assume that is not true.
    (This is a standard technique: we are asked to prove "a OR b" so we assume a is NOT true and prove b must be true.)

If p is NOT a limit point of H, there exist a region V containing p which contains no member of H (other than, possibly, p itself). Of course, since p is a limit point of HUK, V must contain a member of HUK which means it must contain a member of K. Let U be any region containing p and look at U intersect V (which is non-empty).

5. Dec 6, 2004 #4
    thanks, it helps a lot, but in doing so, i still need to prove that the intersection of 2 regions is a region, which i haven't proved it yet, would you give me a hand on that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?