Proving E and E-Closure Have Same Limit Points

In summary: Sorry for the confusion.In summary, the conversation discussed the proof that E' is closed and whether E-closure and E' have the same set of limit points. The definition of a limit point was also clarified. Through an argument using the archimedean property of real numbers, it was concluded that (AUB)'=A'UB' in general.
PhysicsGente

Homework Statement

Let X be a metric space and let E be a subset of X. Prove that E' is closed and that E and E-closure have the same set of limit points.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proven that E' is closed. Now, from the definition of a closed subset of a metric space, I know that if E' is closed then every point of E' is a limit point. I also know that E-closure = E ∪ E'. Then, is it right to conclude that (E-closure)' = E' ∪ (E')' = E' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming E' means the boundary of E. Is it? You'll probably want to state your definitions of all of these terms. They aren't always the same in all texts. How did you prove E' is closed?

Last edited:
Dick said:
I'm assuming E' means the boundary of E. Is it? How did you prove E' is closed?

E' is the set of limit points of E.
Here is how I proved it,

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a metric space and let [itex]E\subset X[/itex]. Let [itex]p\in X-E'[/itex]. Since [itex]p[/itex] is not a limit point of [itex]E[/itex], there exists [itex]\epsilon >0[/itex] so that [itex]N_{\epsilon}(p)\cap E = \emptyset[/itex].
Now, let [itex]a\in E'[/itex] and [itex]b\in E[/itex]. Then, there exists [itex]\delta >0[/itex] so that [itex]|a-b|<\delta[/itex].
Let [itex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex]. Then, [itex]|p-a| = |p-b+b-a|
\geq ||p-b|-|a-b||[/itex]. But [itex]\epsilon=2\delta[/itex]. Then, [itex]|p-a| > \epsilon - \delta = 2\delta - \delta = \delta[/itex]. So [itex]|p-a| > \delta[/itex]. Then,
[itex]N_{\delta}(p) \cap E' = \emptyset[/itex]. Then, [itex]N_{\delta}(p) \subset X-E'[/itex]. Then, every [itex]p\in X-E'[/itex] is an interior point. So [itex]X-E'[/itex]is open. Therefore, [itex]E'[/itex] is closed. q.e.d

The Nε(p) represents, for example, an epsilon neighborhood of p.

Without considering all the details, that sounds generally right. How do define 'limit point'? If p is an element of E, is it a limit point? Sorry to ask all these questions.

Hey :smile:. This is the definition from Rudin,

Let X be a metric space and let E be a subset of X. A point p in X is a limit point of E if every neighborhood of p contains a point q different from p such that q is in E.

PhysicsGente said:
Hey :smile:. This is the definition from Rudin,

Let X be a metric space and let E be a subset of X. A point p in X is a limit point of E if every neighborhood of p contains a point q different from p such that q is in E.

Ok, then it's not generally true that (AUB)'=A'UB'. Pick A={0} and B={1/n for n>=1}. Then (AUB)'={0} but A'={} and B'={}. You'll have to come up with a better argument.

Dick said:
Ok, then it's not generally true that (AUB)'=A'UB'. Pick A={0} and B={1/n for n>=1}. Then (AUB)'={0} but A'={} and B'={}. You'll have to come up with a better argument.

But if you use the archimedean property of real numbers, then B' = {0} right? So in that case (AUB)' = A'UB' :confused:.

PhysicsGente said:
But if you use the archimedean property of real numbers, then B' = {0} right? So in that case (AUB)' = A'UB' :confused:.

Of course that's true. The confusion is all mine. p is a limit point of AUB iff p is a limit point of A or p is a limit point of B. So (AUB)'=A'UB' in general. Something was bothering me last night and now I don't know what it was. I agree with your argument.

1. What is the definition of E-Closure?

The E-Closure of a set E is the set of all limit points of E, including the points in E itself.

2. How is the limit point of a set defined?

A limit point of a set E is a point x such that every neighborhood of x contains infinitely many points of E.

3. Why is it important to prove that E and E-Closure have the same limit points?

Proving that E and E-Closure have the same limit points is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the set E. It also allows us to make conclusions about the convergence of sequences and the continuity of functions defined on E.

4. What is the process for proving that E and E-Closure have the same limit points?

To prove that E and E-Closure have the same limit points, we must show that every point in E-Closure is a limit point of E, and every point in E is a limit point of E-Closure. This can be done by using the definitions of E-Closure and limit points, and by constructing specific examples and counterexamples.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that E and E-Closure have the same limit points?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. The definition of E-Closure ensures that all limit points of E are also in E-Closure, and the definition of limit points ensures that all limit points of E-Closure are also in E.