1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem - calc 1

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    limit problem - calc 1 please see reply

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

limx->0 1/x

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this is easy if you graph it on the calculator, but I want to know the logic behind the getting the answer without graphing it.

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2
    Well, plug in values less than 1 and more than -1 and you'll see that you get closer and closer to positive or negative infinity. For example 1/.1 = 10, 1/-.1 = -10, 1/.01 = 100, 1/-.01 = -100.

Now if you know enough about limits, then you'll realize that:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

does not exist because:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0^+} \frac{1}{x} [/tex] does not equal [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0^-} \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I meant:

limx->0 sin(1/x)

Now its harder!

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4
    Well technically, you can look at it almost the same way as I described above. There is one other thing to notice though. Remember as x gets closer and closer to zero, then 1/x gets infinitely larger. Now what if 1/x was equal to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] then the sin would be 1. Now what if x got closer to zero and 1/x was equal to [itex]3\pi/2[/itex], then the sin would -1. So, this means as you keep getting closer and closer to zero (from both sides), each side oscillates an infinite amount of times (alternating oscillations on each side of the y axis of course because of negative and positive x's resulting in negative and positive sin's).

I hope that clears your reasoning up a little bit. At least that is how I like to look at it, but that's my first time ever explaining it to someone, so I'm sorry if it sounds a bit confusing.

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5
    Expanding on what chislam has said, you may or may not be aware of the theorom stating that using any sequence of x that tends to 0, (xn), then if the limit exists f((xn)) must converge to this limit for all subsequences. I will leave it to you to find the required subsequences to prove the limit doesn't exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?