Is L'Hopital's Rule Applicable to Natural Log Limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of a function involving natural logarithms. It is shown that after multiple applications of L'Hopital's rule, the limit simplifies to a fixed number in the numerator and infinity in the denominator, resulting in the limit being equal to zero. The conversation ends with a confirmation of understanding and well wishes.
MrBailey
Hi all.
I'm slightly confused with the following limit prob:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{(ln (x))^n}{x}[/tex]
which I know = 0. (n is a positive integer)
It looks like it's of indeterminate form, that is
[tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex]
Using L'Hopital's, it looks like you get another indeterminate form:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{n(ln (x))^{n-1}}{x}[/tex]
...and so on and so on.
Is it correct to assume that, applying L'Hopital's n times, you'll eventually get:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{n\cdot (n-1)\cdot (n-2) \cdot ... \cdot 1}{x}[/tex]
which is equal to zero?
Thanks,
Bailey

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I edited the above...hopefully it looks clearer.

Isn't the derivative of the natural log [tex]1/x[/tex]
and you keep on doing it "n" times...so you always end up with an "x" in the denominator when applying L'Hopital's rule...until you get [tex]1/x[/tex] with all of the "n" terms in the numerator.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bailey

yes that's right. chain rule. no matter what positive integer n, in the end you will have some fixed number in the numerator but the denominator goes to infinity so it wins out and the limit will be zero.

Thanks...I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Best wishes,
bailey

1. What is a limit problem involving natural logarithms?

A limit problem involving natural logarithms is a mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function that contains a natural logarithm. This type of problem is commonly encountered in calculus and involves evaluating an expression as the input approaches a certain value.

2. How do you solve a limit problem with a natural logarithm?

To solve a limit problem with a natural logarithm, you can use various techniques such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, and L'Hopital's rule. It is important to also understand the properties and rules of natural logarithms to properly evaluate the limit.

3. What are the properties of natural logarithms that are helpful in solving limit problems?

The properties of natural logarithms that are helpful in solving limit problems include the natural logarithm of 1 being equal to 0, the natural logarithm of a product being equal to the sum of the natural logarithms of the individual factors, and the natural logarithm of a quotient being equal to the difference of the natural logarithms of the individual terms.

4. Can a limit problem involving natural logarithms have multiple solutions?

Yes, a limit problem involving natural logarithms can have multiple solutions depending on the specific function and the value that the input is approaching. It is important to carefully evaluate the limit and consider all possible solutions.

5. How can understanding limit problems involving natural logarithms be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding limit problems involving natural logarithms can be useful in real-world applications such as modeling population growth, financial investments, and chemical reactions. It allows for the prediction of future values and the analysis of rates of change.