Limit Problem Solution: Solving [x*csc(2x)] / cos(5x) as x approaches 0

• Thread starter icosane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I've fixed my comment.In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of [x*csc(2x)] / cos(5x) as x approaches 0 and the confusion about the answer being 1/2 instead of zero. The expert suggests focusing on the x*csc(2x) part and using the fact that the limit of cos(5x) is 1 as x approaches 0. They also mention using L'Hopital's rule for these types of limits. The conversation also touches on the limits of sin(x)/x and x/(1-cos(x)), with the expert clarifying that the latter limit does not exist.
icosane

Homework Statement

lim as x goes to 0 of

[x*csc(2x)] / cos(5x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The book solution says the answer is 1/2. I keep getting zero as an answer because of the x in the numerator and am unsure of how else to go about the problem. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the limit as x goes to 0 of sinx / x, but even when I get to that point the limit of x as x goes to 0 always gives me an answer of zero. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The part to be concerned with is x*csc(2x), since the limit of cos(5x) is 1, as x goes to 0. If you can establish a limit for x*csc(2x), then lim x*csc(2x)/cos(5x) will be = lim x*csc(2x).

x*csc(2x) = x/sin(2x), so all you need now is 2x in the numerator instead of the x that is there. Can you turn x into 2x by multiplying by 1 in some form?

so you have

[tex] \frac{x.csc(2x)}{cos(5x)} = \frac{x.}{sin(2x).cos(5x)}[/tex]

so the denmoinator goes to zero as well, so you can't say it is zero...

So the lim as x goes to 0 of x/sin(x) is also equal to 1? I assume that is the case because multiplying by 2/2 gives the solution of 1/2. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity now, is the lim as x goes to 0 of x/(1-cos(x)) = infinity?

lim as x goes to 0 sin(x)/x is one, as is sin(x)/x

think about this, if
[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = c [/tex]

then what is
[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{f(x)} = ? [/tex]

the second limit is true
[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{(1-cos(x))} = \infty [/tex]
can you show why?

(l'hopitals rule is good for all of these if you know it...)

icosane said:
So the lim as x goes to 0 of x/sin(x) is also equal to 1? I assume that is the case because multiplying by 2/2 gives the solution of 1/2. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity now, is the lim as x goes to 0 of x/(1-cos(x)) = infinity?
No, the limit doesn't exist.
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x/(1 -cos(x)) = \infty[/tex]
while

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0^-} x/(1 -cos(x)) = -\infty[/tex]

good pickup - my mistake

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the independent variable (typically denoted as x) gets closer and closer to a specific value, often denoted as a. It is an important tool in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions near certain points.

What is the solution to solving [x*csc(2x)] / cos(5x) as x approaches 0?

The solution to this limit problem is 0. This can be found by first rewriting the expression as [x/sin(2x)] / cos(5x), and then using the fact that sin(2x) approaches 0 and cos(5x) approaches 1 as x approaches 0. Therefore, the limit of the expression is equal to 0/1, which is 0.

Why is it important to solve limit problems?

Solving limit problems allows us to understand the behavior of functions at specific points and to make predictions about their values. It also helps in calculating derivatives, which are crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

What are some common strategies for solving limit problems?

Some common strategies for solving limit problems include factoring, simplifying, using algebraic manipulation, and applying known limits or theorems. It is also helpful to graph the function to gain a better understanding of its behavior near the point of interest.

How can I check my answer to a limit problem?

You can check your answer to a limit problem by using a graphing calculator or a graphing software to graph the function and see if the predicted value matches the graph. You can also use an online limit calculator or plug in values close to the point of interest to verify your answer.