Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Limit problem, with mins, I know the answer already and I know it is right. But the l

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the follow LOP P

I am just going to write down the obj function because that is most important for my question and the constraints aren't

[tex]w = y_1 - 2y_2 + y_3[/tex]

I was asked to show that [tex]y = (2t, 3t,t)^t[/tex] is a solution for all [tex]t\geq 0[/tex]

So w = 2t - 2(3t) +t = 2t - 6t + t = -4t + t = -3t

Now initally I thought that as [tex]t \to \infty [/tex], [tex]-3t \to -\infty [/tex]

I checked the key provided by my prof and he took [tex]t \to -\infty [/tex] and [tex]-3t \to \infty [/tex]

Is it because we always assume w >0?

The flaw I made is that I never consider [tex]t \to \pm \infty [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Limit problem, with mins, I know the answer already and I know it is right. But t

In applied problems, the objective function is usually nonnegative, but in more theoretic presentations, I don't see why this needs to be true.

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    Re: Limit problem, with mins, I know the answer already and I know it is right. But t

I asked my prof today and he kinda said the same thing about "yes intuitively that is right, we want obj f > 0". Then he added a bunch of things that confused me even more...

He stated something like this

max z = -min(-z)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook