Finding the Limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx): Help Needed!

• Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The limit does not exist in the "diverging to +infinity" (or -infinity) sense, so l'hopitals still gives information.
apchemstudent
How do you find the limit to:

Lim
x->0+ sqrtx/(1-cosx)

I use the L'Hopital rule and i get

lim
x->0+ 1/(2sqrtx*sinx)

and I can't get anywhere after this. I even tried multiplying by sqrtx/sqrtx to get rid of the sqrtx at the beginning, but it still doesn't work. Please help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0+} \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x} \sin x} = \infty[/tex]

devious_ said:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0+} \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x} \sin x} = \infty[/tex]

I take it as, there's no solution to this problem. Either I'm reading the question wrong, or the prof wrote the question wrong. This is because for any other problems in this exercise, the limit did exist, so I'm sceptical as to whether the answer is infinity.

L'hopital's rule works perfectly well. The second limit you got,
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}sin(x)}[/tex]
does not exist (it goes to infinity) so the original limit,
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+}\frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-cos(x)}[/tex]
does not exist.

Just plug in really small numbers (to the L'Hopital's), and you get 1/(really small) which would be really big, and as the numbers got smaller the answer would approach infinity.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
L'hopital's rule works perfectly well. The second limit you got,
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}sin(x)}[/tex]
does not exist (it goes to infinity) so the original limit,
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+}\frac{\sqrt{x}}{1-cos(x)}[/tex]
does not exist.

Why doesn't it exist if it goes to infinity? Anyway, even if the l'Hospitalled limit didn't exist, I thought there would be nothing I could say about the original limit. The existence of limit

[tex]
\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}
[/tex]

is precondition for l'Hospital rule as far as we've been told in school.

twoflower said:
Why doesn't it exist if it goes to infinity?

Often (definitions do vary) saying a limit exists means it converges to a finite value. Saying a limit is infinity, or writing lim=+inf, is still saying the limit does not exist, but is giving more information on how it's not existing.

twoflower said:
Anyway, even if the l'Hospitalled limit didn't exist, I thought there would be nothing I could say about the original limit.

If the limit is not existing in the "diverging to +infinity" (or -infinity) sense, then l'hopitals still gives information.

shmoe said:
Often (definitions do vary) saying a limit exists means it converges to a finite value. Saying a limit is infinity, or writing lim=+inf, is still saying the limit does not exist, but is giving more information on how it's not existing.

Yes, probably it's a matter of definition, for example we had defined it as follows:

[tex]
\mbox{We say that }f\mbox{ has in point }a \in \mathbb{R}^*\mbox{ limit }A \in \mathbb{R}^*\mbox{ if...}
[/tex]

1. What is the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx) as x approaches 0?

The limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx) as x approaches 0 is 1/2. This can be found by using the L'Hopital's rule or by simplifying the expression using trigonometric identities.

2. How do I evaluate the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx) as x approaches infinity is also 1/2. This can be found by dividing both the numerator and denominator by x and then taking the limit as x approaches infinity.

3. Can I use the squeeze theorem to find the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx)?

Yes, the squeeze theorem can be used to find the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx). This involves finding two other functions that are greater than or equal to and less than or equal to the given function, and then taking the limit of both of those functions as x approaches the same value.

4. Is it possible to find the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx) graphically?

Yes, the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx) can be found graphically by plotting the function and observing the behavior of the function as x approaches the desired value. However, this method may not always be accurate and it is recommended to use algebraic methods for finding limits.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx)?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when finding the limit of sqrtx/(1-cosx): when x approaches 0 and when x approaches infinity. In both cases, the limit is 1/2, but the methods for finding the limit may differ. It is important to be aware of these special cases when evaluating limits.