Solving $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{ab^x+ba^x}{x-1}$

• Thread starter Sleek
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the limit of a function as x approaches 1. The attempt at a solution involves substituting x-1 as u and using a known formula for solving limits of the form (a^x-1)/x = ln a. However, since the numerator in this case is not in the form a^x-1, further steps are needed to solve the limit. The final answer is ab log(b/a), but the limit does not exist if either a or b is equal to 0.
Sleek

Homework Statement

[tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{ab^x+ba^x}{x-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to let x-1 = u

As x -> 1, x-1 -> 0, therefore as x-> 1, u -> 0.

So I obtained something which looked simple.

[tex]\displaystyle ab \lim_{u \rightarrow 0} \frac{a^u + b^u}{u} [/tex]

Had it been a^u-b^u, Adding and subtracting 1 and splitting the expression into (a^u-1)/u and (b^u-1)/u would help solve the limit, which is loga+logb. Thus the answer becomes ab log(ab).

But since there is a plus sign, I'm confused on what I could do further. Incidentally, th answer to the question is ab log(b/a), which is quite close to the previous one, and does imply a sign change between the log expressions.

Can anyone verify my substitution and just give a subtle hint towards the direction I have to look? Also, is there a place where I can find proofs of standard forms like lim(x -> 0) (a^x-1)/x = ln a etc.?

Thanks,
Sleek.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numerator goes to 2ab. If either a or b is 0, the numerator is identically 0 (for positive x, in particular for x near 1) so the limit is 0. Otherwise, 2ab is finite non-zero whereas the denominator goes to positive infinity as x goes to 1 from the right and negative infinity from the other direction, meaning the limit doesn't exist. Perhaps you wrote the problem out wrong?

1. What does the expression $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{ab^x+ba^x}{x-1}$ represent?

The expression represents the limit of a function as the variable x approaches the value 1. In this case, the function is $\displaystyle \frac{ab^x+ba^x}{x-1}$.

2. What are the steps to solve this limit?

To solve this limit, we can use algebraic manipulation and the limit laws. First, we can factor out a common factor of $a$ to get $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} a\frac{b^x+ab^{x-1}}{x-1}$. Then, we can use the limit laws to split the fraction into two separate limits, $\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} a\frac{b^x}{x-1} + \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} a\frac{ab^{x-1}}{x-1}$. Finally, we can use the substitution rule to evaluate each limit individually.

3. Can this limit be solved using L'Hospital's rule?

No, L'Hospital's rule can only be used to solve limits with indeterminate forms $\frac{0}{0}$ or $\frac{\infty}{\infty}$. In this case, the limit does not have an indeterminate form and can be solved using other methods.

4. Can this limit be solved analytically?

Yes, this limit can be solved analytically using algebraic manipulation and the limit laws. It does not require numerical approximation methods.

5. What are the possible values of this limit?

The possible values of this limit depend on the values of a and b. If a and b are both non-zero, the limit will exist and have a finite value. If either a or b is equal to 0, the limit will be undefined. Additionally, the value of the limit may differ depending on the specific values of a and b.