1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Problem

1. Oct 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{ab^x+ba^x}{x-1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was to let x-1 = u

As x -> 1, x-1 -> 0, therefore as x-> 1, u -> 0.

So I obtained something which looked simple.

[tex]\displaystyle ab \lim_{u \rightarrow 0} \frac{a^u + b^u}{u} [/tex]

Had it been a^u-b^u, Adding and subtracting 1 and splitting the expression into (a^u-1)/u and (b^u-1)/u would help solve the limit, which is loga+logb. Thus the answer becomes ab log(ab).

But since there is a plus sign, I'm confused on what I could do further. Incidentally, th answer to the question is ab log(b/a), which is quite close to the previous one, and does imply a sign change between the log expressions.

Can anyone verify my substitution and just give a subtle hint towards the direction I have to look? Also, is there a place where I can find proofs of standard forms like lim(x -> 0) (a^x-1)/x = ln a etc.?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The numerator goes to 2ab. If either a or b is 0, the numerator is identically 0 (for positive x, in particular for x near 1) so the limit is 0. Otherwise, 2ab is finite non-zero whereas the denominator goes to positive infinity as x goes to 1 from the right and negative infinity from the other direction, meaning the limit doesn't exist. Perhaps you wrote the problem out wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?