How to Solve a Limit Problem with a Denominator of Zero?

• Thread starter Flamingo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a limit involving h in the denominator and using algebra to rearrange the expression in order to eliminate the h term. The participant also mentions checking for any algebraic errors in the solution.
Flamingo
I'm having trouble with this one. How do I get h out of the denominator?

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\left(\frac{\frac{1}{(a+h)^{2}}-\frac{1}{x^{2}}}{h}\right)[/tex]

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\left(\frac{1}{h(a+h)^2}-\frac{1}{hx^{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\left(\frac{hx^2-h(a+h)^2}{h^2x^2(a+h)^2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\left(\frac{x^2-(a+h)^2}{hx^2(a+h)^2}\right)[/tex]

I keep getting a divide by zero. Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flamingo said:

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\left(\frac{\frac{1}{(a+h)^{2}}-\frac{1}{x^{2}}}{h}\right)[/tex]

Are you trying to find the derivative of 1/x^2 using the def. of the derivative??

that should be an 'a' where it is an 'x', sorry.

lol, a=x.

and, yes, I am suppose to solve it using algebra.

Flamingo said:

i do not know whether u did the algebra good up to the last part, i won't be checking that. here at the last part you can rearrange the numerator like this

: a^2-(a+h)^2=(a-a-h)(a+a+h)=-h(2a+h)
so you will get rid of the h on the denominator.

very clever, thanks

1. What is a limit problem with a denominator of zero?

A limit problem with a denominator of zero is a mathematical expression in which the denominator of a fraction becomes zero when evaluating at a specific input value. This makes the fraction undefined and requires special techniques to solve.

2. Why is it important to know how to solve a limit problem with a denominator of zero?

Solving limit problems with denominators of zero is essential in calculus and other fields of mathematics. It allows us to find the behavior of a function at a specific input value and determine if it has a limit or not.

3. What are the steps to solve a limit problem with a denominator of zero?

The first step is to factor both the numerator and denominator of the fraction. Then, simplify the expression by canceling out any common factors. Next, plug in the input value that makes the denominator zero into the simplified expression. Finally, use algebraic techniques or L'Hôpital's rule to solve for the limit.

4. What is L'Hôpital's rule and how does it help solve a limit problem with a denominator of zero?

L'Hôpital's rule states that if the limit of a fraction is indeterminate (i.e., both the numerator and denominator approach zero), then the limit of the fraction's derivative is equal to the original limit. This rule helps solve limit problems with denominators of zero by converting them into simpler problems that can be easily evaluated.

5. Are there any other techniques to solve limit problems with denominators of zero?

Yes, there are other techniques such as using trigonometric identities, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, or using series expansions. However, L'Hôpital's rule is the most commonly used and efficient method for solving these types of limit problems.