1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit Problem

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    Say a function f and its derivative are everywhere continuous and of exponential order at infinity. F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(x). I need to find the limit of F as s goes to infinity.

I use the integral definition of the Laplace transform and the fact that f is of exponential order. My problem is that I don't know if you can move the limit inside the integral. If you can, then it is clear that the result is 0. How can I justify this step, or is there a better approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

gel

You can use the dominated convergence theorem. It's stated in that link for general measure spaces, but you can just replace [itex]d\mu[/itex] with dx for integrating over the reals.

or,

if f is bounded by exp(ax), then bound f(x)exp(-sx) by exp(-(s-a)x). Use this to bound F(s) and you can calculate the rate at which it goes to 0.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?