Finding the Limit of F(s) as s Goes to Infinity: Exploring Exponential Order

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of the Laplace transform of a function as s goes to infinity. The speaker suggests using the integral definition of the Laplace transform and the fact that the function is of exponential order, but is unsure of whether the limit can be moved inside the integral. Another approach is using the Dominated Convergence Theorem, which can be applied by replacing d\mu with dx for integrating over the reals. Alternatively, the speaker suggests bounding the function and using this to calculate the rate at which F(s) goes to 0.
shapiro478
Say a function f and its derivative are everywhere continuous and of exponential order at infinity. F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(x). I need to find the limit of F as s goes to infinity.

I use the integral definition of the Laplace transform and the fact that f is of exponential order. My problem is that I don't know if you can move the limit inside the integral. If you can, then it is clear that the result is 0. How can I justify this step, or is there a better approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominated_convergence_theorem" . It's stated in that link for general measure spaces, but you can just replace [itex]d\mu[/itex] with dx for integrating over the reals.

or,

if f is bounded by exp(ax), then bound f(x)exp(-sx) by exp(-(s-a)x). Use this to bound F(s) and you can calculate the rate at which it goes to 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of finding the limit of F(s) as s goes to infinity?

The purpose of finding the limit is to understand the behavior of a function as the input value approaches infinity. This can help in analyzing the long-term trends and growth rates of the function.

How is the limit of F(s) as s goes to infinity calculated?

The limit is calculated by evaluating the function at larger and larger values of s, and observing the trend of the output values. If the function approaches a constant value as s increases, then that constant is the limit.

What is the significance of exploring exponential order in this context?

Exponential order refers to the rate at which a function grows as the input value increases. In the context of finding the limit, exploring exponential order can help in determining whether the function grows at a faster rate than a simple power function, which can affect the behavior of the function as s goes to infinity.

Can the limit of F(s) as s goes to infinity be infinite?

Yes, it is possible for the limit to be infinite if the function grows without bound as s increases. This means that the function does not have a finite limit, and will continue to increase indefinitely.

How can finding the limit of F(s) as s goes to infinity be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding the limit of a function as the input value approaches infinity can be useful in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering. It can help in predicting long-term trends, analyzing growth rates, and making informed decisions based on the behavior of the function.