Limits of Polynomials: x3-6x2+11x - 6 & x3-4x2+19x + 14

In summary, the given expression tends to -2/3 as x approaches -1. The attempt at a solution involved using the method of substitution and factoring the expression, but the solution manual provided a different answer.
hockeyfghts5

Homework Statement

lim
x-> -1
x3-6x2+11x - 6
x3-4x2+19x + 14

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried anything yet? Where does the expression tend to as x goes to -1?

Where is your attempt at a solution? I know calculus can be confusing when you start, but this problem seems pretty straight forward.

well, i used the method of substitution and if my algebra is correct i came out with -6/7 but in my solutions manual that answer is incorrect, then i try to factor the top but it didn't seem to factor out. although, i haven't took college algebra in awhile, so i am a little rusty on my factoring.

Last edited:
What did the answer manual say?

-2/3 , opps i wrote the problem down wrong so it is actually
x3-6x2+11x - 6
x3+4x2-19x + 14

Last edited:
Copying mistakes will get you every time!

1. What are the limits of the polynomials x3-6x2+11x - 6 & x3-4x2+19x + 14?

The limits of these polynomials depend on the values of x as it approaches positive or negative infinity. For x3-6x2+11x - 6, the limit as x approaches positive infinity is positive infinity and as x approaches negative infinity is negative infinity. For x3-4x2+19x + 14, the limit as x approaches positive infinity is positive infinity and as x approaches negative infinity is negative infinity.

2. How do you determine the limits of polynomials?

To determine the limits of polynomials, you need to first simplify the polynomial by factoring and then analyze the highest degree term. The limit as x approaches positive or negative infinity will depend on whether the highest degree term is positive or negative, respectively.

3. What are the end behaviors of polynomials?

The end behavior of a polynomial refers to the behavior of the polynomial as x approaches positive or negative infinity. The end behavior can be described as either approaching positive or negative infinity, approaching a finite value, or oscillating between positive and negative infinity.

4. How do you graph polynomials with limits?

To graph polynomials with limits, you can use the end behavior to determine the general shape of the graph. You can also plot a few points and use the symmetry of the graph to determine the rest of the points. Be sure to label the x and y-intercepts and any points of intersection with other functions.

5. Why are limits important in polynomial functions?

Limits are important in polynomial functions because they can help us understand the behavior of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. This can give us insight into the overall shape and behavior of the polynomial and can be used to graph the function accurately.