Mastering Limit Problems: Homework Statement & Solution | 65 Characters

• Thread starter screamtrumpet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation was about simplifying the expression lim(x>b) (b-x)/sqrt(x)-sqrt(b). One person suggested multiplying the top and bottom by the conjugate of sqrt(x)-sqrt(b), while the other person pointed out that the conjugate should be sqrt(x)+sqrt(b). After simplifying and factoring, one person arrived at the answer of 2b, but the other person pointed out that it was incorrect and suggested showing the steps in order to determine the mistake.
screamtrumpet

Homework Statement

lim
x>b (b-x)/sqr rootx-sqr root b

The Attempt at a Solution

I multilplied the top and bottom by b+x and found b-x^s on the top and x-b on the bottom

Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying through by the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{b}[/tex]...

so would that be square root x plus square root b?

Yes it should be.

after factoring and simplifying i got my answer to be 2b

screamtrumpet said:
after factoring and simplifying i got my answer to be 2b

Not right. If you would show how you got there someone might be able to tell you why it's wrong.

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept in calculus that involves determining the value a function approaches as its input (usually denoted as x) approaches a specific value (usually denoted as a).

Why is mastering limit problems important?

Mastering limit problems is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do you approach a limit problem?

The most common approach to solving a limit problem is to first try to substitute the given value for the variable in the function and see if it results in a defined value. If not, then other methods such as factoring, simplifying, or using limit laws can be used.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit problems include not properly understanding the concept, using incorrect algebraic manipulations, and forgetting to check for one-sided limits. It is also important to always check the answer using a graph or table to confirm its accuracy.

How can I improve my skills in mastering limit problems?

To improve your skills in mastering limit problems, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try different approaches and techniques, such as using graphs or tables, to solve limit problems. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and connecting them to real-world applications can also help improve your skills.