1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Apply the definition of the limit to show that

lim (x,y)-->(0,0) xy^3/(x^2+y^2) = 0

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of the limit:
    lim (x,y)-->(a,b) f(x,y) = L if for every number epsilon > 0 there is a corresponding number delta > 0 such that if (x,y) is in the domain and 0 < sqrt((x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2) < delta then |f(x,y) - L| < epsilon

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I've just plugged in the numbers:

Let epsilon > 0. We want to find delta > 0 such that
    if 0 < sqrt(x^2 + y^2) < delta then |xy^3/(x^2 + y^2) - 0| < epsilon

I have no idea what to do next.
    Note that it says to show that this is the limit using the definition given above.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2
    Is not true that the limit is 0.
    If you let [itex]y=0[/itex] and [itex]x \to 0[/itex], we have the
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{x} \ne 0[/tex]

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    If y = 0 then xy^3 = 0 then xy^3/(x^2+y^2) = 0/x^2 = 0 so the limit must be 0

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4
    u cant take limit of the numerator without taking limit of the denominator so u basically wrong

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    Wolfram?
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+%28x%2Cy%29-%3E%280%2C0%29+xy^3%2F%28x^2+%2B+y^2%29

7. Aug 15, 2011 #6
    sry my bad :D

8. Aug 15, 2011 #7
    Oh yes, sure.

9. Aug 15, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would switch to polar coordinates- that way the "distance to (0, 0)" is given by the single variable, r.

In polar coordinates, the function is
    [tex]\frac{(r cos(\theta)(r sin(\theta))^3}{r^2}= r^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)[/tex]

Of course, [itex]|cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)|\le 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex].

10. Aug 16, 2011 #9
    Ok let me know if this makes any sense at all....

After changing it to polar coordinates, we get [itex] \lim_{r \to 0} r^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)[/itex]

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. We want to find [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that

if [itex] 0<r< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|r^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta) - 0| < \epsilon [/itex]

since [itex]|cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)| \le 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex]

[itex]r^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta) \le r^2[/itex]

Thus if we choose [itex]\delta^2 = \epsilon[/itex] and let [itex]0<r<\delta[/itex] then

[itex]|r^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta) - 0| \le r^2 \le \delta^2 = \epsilon[/itex]

And hence [itex] \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} = 0 [/itex]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook