Why is the function abs(x) not differentiable at x=0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limits, specifically in regards to the functions |x| and sgn(x). It is mentioned that the absolute value function is not differentiable at x=0 due to the difference in left and right limits. The definition of sgn(x) is also discussed and it is noted that the limit of sgn(x) as x approaches 0 does not exist. The conversation then moves on to the composition of functions and an example is given where the limit of the composite function does not exist due to the discontinuity of one of the functions involved. The concept of continuity is also mentioned in relation to the limit of a composite function.
Bassalisk
Hello,

I am currently trying to understand some limits. |x| is not differentiable because left and right limits are different.

I also learned that |x|/x=sgn(x) (signum)

But

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} sgn(x)[/tex]

is not defined, ergo function abs(x) is not differentiable in 0.

But isn't sgn(x) defined to be 0 if x=0, or am I misinterpreting the term "approaching".
Another example:

let

[tex]g(y) = \begin{Bmatrix}
1, & y \not= 0 \\ 0, & y=0 \end{Bmatrix} [/tex]

and f(x)=0 for all x.

[itex]\lim_{\substack{y\rightarrow 0}} g(y)=1[/itex]

[itex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} f(x)=0[/itex]

but

[itex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}} (g \circ f) (x) =0 [/itex]

This is example where composition of functions doesn't work as they should.

I don't understand how this composition of functions, doesn't work. Can anybody explain to me how this works? ( I found the example on the internet, but not as good explanation)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question: lim sgn(x), = 1 for x-> 0 and x > 0, = -1 for x ->0 and x < 0. Therefore the limit does not exist. Defining sgn(0)=0 or anything else doesn't matter.

For the second [I'm assuming you are asking about g(f(x))]: f(x)=0 for all x, therefore this function is g(0)=0 for all x. I am not quite sure what "doesn't work".

mathman said:
For the first question: lim sgn(x), = 1 for x-> 0 and x > 0, = -1 for x ->0 and x < 0. Therefore the limit does not exist. Defining sgn(0)=0 or anything else doesn't matter.

For the second [I'm assuming you are asking about g(f(x))]: f(x)=0 for all x, therefore this function is g(0)=0 for all x. I am not quite sure what "doesn't work".

It doesn't work like this:

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow a}} f(x)=b [/tex]
[tex]\lim_{\substack{y\rightarrow b}} g(y)=c [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow a}} (g \circ f) (x) =c [/tex]This feels right to me, But i cannot understand the problem above.(2nd one)

Does that "for all x" makes everything in composed function 0?

The problem (why it doesn't work) is simply the discontinuity at x=0 for g. For the composite function the argument for g is always 0. The general property for the limit involving g assumes -> 0 through non-zero values of the argument.

sgn(x)= 1 if x> 0, sgn(0)= 0, and sgn(x)= -1 if x< 0.

In particular,
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+} sgn(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} 1= 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^-} sgn(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} -1= -1[/tex]

Of course, [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if both [itex]\lim_{x\to a^+} f(x)= L[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to a^-} f(x)= L[/itex]. If the two sided limits are not the same, then the limit itself cannot exist.

As for your second problem, in general [itex]\lim_{x\to a} g(f(x))= g(\lim_{x\to a}f(x))[/tex] if and only if g is continuous at [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)[/itex]. In fact, that can be used as a definition of "continuous". Here, you function g is not continuous at x= 0.

That's why the limit at 0 does not exist. It has nothing to do with the value of the function at x= 0.

HallsofIvy said:
sgn(x)= 1 if x> 0, sgn(0)= 0, and sgn(x)= -1 if x< 0.

In particular,
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+} sgn(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} 1= 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^-} sgn(x)= \lim_{x\to 0} -1= -1[/tex]

Of course, [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if both [itex]\lim_{x\to a^+} f(x)= L[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x\to a^-} f(x)= L[/itex]. If the two sided limits are not the same, then the limit itself cannot exist.

As for your second problem, in general [itex]\lim_{x\to a} g(f(x))= g(\lim_{x\to a}f(x))[/itex] if and only if g is continuous at [itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)[/itex]. In fact, that can be used as a definition of "continuous". Here, you function g is not continuous at x= 0.

That's why the limit at 0 does not exist. It has nothing to do with the value of the function at x= 0.

My brain is swelling of information i got recently. I misplaced the definition of "not continuous". Thank you.

What is a limit function problem?

A limit function problem is a mathematical concept in which the value of a function is approached or "limited" as the input variable approaches a certain value. It is used to analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point and determine its value at that point.

How do you solve a limit function problem?

To solve a limit function problem, you must first plug in the value that the input variable is approaching into the function. Then, you can try to simplify the expression or use algebraic manipulation to find the limit. If the limit does not exist, you can use graphs or tables to estimate the value of the function at that point.

What is the purpose of using limit functions?

Limit functions are used to understand the behavior of a function at a particular point and to determine its value at that point. They are also used in calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals, which are essential in many scientific and mathematical applications.

What are the different types of limit function problems?

There are several types of limit function problems, including one-sided limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. One-sided limits involve approaching the input variable from either the left or right side, while infinite limits occur when the output of the function becomes infinite as the input approaches a certain value. Limits at infinity involve evaluating the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches positive or negative infinity.

How do limit function problems relate to real-world scenarios?

Limit function problems have many real-world applications, such as in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can be used to model the behavior of systems as variables approach certain values, such as in the study of projectile motion or chemical reactions. They can also be used to optimize and improve the performance of systems by understanding their behavior at different points.