Prove: \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz = 0

• Thread starter blahblah8724
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz = 0, we can use the estimation lemma with the inequality \left| \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz \right| \leq \frac{4\pi R}{(R+1)^2}, which is obtained by combining the arclength of C_R with the bound \frac{1}{|z+i|^2} \leq \frac{1}{(|z| + 1)^2}. As R \to \infty, this bound approaches 0 and therefore the integral
blahblah8724

Homework Statement

Using [itex] C_R [/itex] as,

P1eVX.png

([itex] C_R [/itex] doesn't include the bottom line between R and -R)

Prove that,

[itex] \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz = 0 [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Using the estimation lemma and trying to find a bound on [itex] \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} [/itex]

So if [itex] |z| = R [/itex] then,

[itex] |(z + i)^2| = (|z+i|)^2 \geq (|z| - |i| )^2 = (|z| - 1)^2 = (R - 1)^2 [/itex]

>>>(Not sure of the integrity of this step)

Thus,

[itex] \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} \leq \frac{1}{(R - 1)^2} [/itex]

So using estimation lemma and the fact that arclength of [itex] C_R [/itex] is [itex] \pi R [/itex] then,

[itex] \left| \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz \right| \leq \int_{C_R} \left|\frac{1}{(z+i)^2} \right| |dz| \leq \frac{\pi R}{(R-1)^2} \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] R \to \infty [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Therefore, \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz = 0

Thank you for your post. Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few things that could be improved. First, your use of the estimation lemma is correct, but it would be helpful to include the specific inequality you are using. The estimation lemma states that if a function f is continuous on a contour C and |f(z)| \leq M for all z \in C, then \left| \int_C f(z) dz \right| \leq ML, where L is the length of the contour. In this case, we have f(z) = \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} and the inequality is \left| \int_{C_R} \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} dz \right| \leq \frac{\pi R}{(R-1)^2}.

Second, your use of the arclength of C_R is not quite correct. The arclength of a circle with radius R is 2\pi R, not \pi R. This does not affect your final result, but it is important to use the correct value for L in the estimation lemma.

Finally, your use of the inequality \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} \leq \frac{1}{(R-1)^2} is not justified. While it is true that |z+i| \geq |z| - |i| for all z, this does not necessarily mean that \frac{1}{|z+i|^2} \leq \frac{1}{|z|^2} for all z. In fact, this inequality is only true for z on the real line. For complex numbers, we need to use the triangle inequality to get a better bound. Specifically, we can write |z+i| = |z + i - i + i| \leq |z| + |i| = |z| + 1. Combining this with your previous estimation, we have \frac{1}{|z+i|^2} \leq \frac{1}{(|z| + 1)^2}. This gives us a tighter bound and allows us to use the estimation lemma more effectively.

1. What does the notation \lim_{R \to \infty} mean in this equation?

The notation \lim_{R \to \infty} represents the limit as the variable R approaches infinity. In other words, we are interested in the behavior of the integral as the size of the contour C_R expands infinitely.

2. What is the meaning of the integral sign in this equation?

The integral sign represents the mathematical concept of integration, which is a way to calculate the area under a curve. In this equation, we are calculating the area under the curve of the function \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} along the contour C_R.

3. Why is the function \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} used in this equation?

The function \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} is used because it satisfies the conditions for applying a theorem known as the Cauchy Integral Theorem. This theorem allows us to evaluate the integral in a simpler way by using the properties of the function and contour.

4. How does the limit of the integral equal 0?

This is a result of applying the Cauchy Integral Theorem, which tells us that the integral around a closed contour of a function that is analytic inside the contour is equal to 0. Since the function \frac{1}{(z+i)^2} is analytic inside the contour C_R, the integral evaluates to 0 as the size of the contour expands infinitely.

5. Can this equation be proven using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this equation. One popular method is to use the Residue Theorem, which involves calculating the residues of the function at its singularities and using them to evaluate the integral. However, the method of using the Cauchy Integral Theorem is often preferred for its simplicity.