Exploring the Limit of f(x)^n: A Homework Challenge

In summary, the problem asks to find the limit of a function f(x) = x + sin(x)/K where K is pi cubed, as n approaches infinity for f(x)^n. The solution involves looking at the attractors of the infinitely iterated function and considering the graph of y = \sin{\frac{x}{\pi^3}}.
jobsism

Homework Statement

Imagine a function: f(x) = x + sin(x)/K where K is pi cubed.
Suppose f(x)^n means f(f(f(f(...f(x))))) n times.
Find the value of lim n->infinity f(x)^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on where to start. Can anyone give a hint, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
jobsism said:

Homework Statement

Imagine a function: f(x) = x + sin(x)/K where K is pi cubed.
Suppose f(x)^n means f(f(f(f(...f(x))))) n times.
Find the value of lim n->infinity f(x)^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on where to start. Can anyone give a hint, please?

Let the limit be y. Can you see that [itex]f(y) = y[/itex]? If the limit exists, then the sequence will converge to that value. Applying the function one more time to the limit will not change the value.

BTW, there's ambiguity in your question. Did you mean [itex]f(x) = x + \frac{\sin x}{K}[/itex] or [itex]f(x) = \frac{x + \sin x}{K}[/itex]?

Curious3141 said:
Let the limit be y. Can you see that [itex]f(y) = y[/itex]? If the limit exists, then the sequence will converge to that value. Applying the function one more time to the limit will not change the value.

Yes, I understand that much.

Curious3141 said:
BTW, there's ambiguity in your question. Did you mean [itex]f(x) = x + \frac{\sin x}{K}[/itex] or [itex]f(x) = \frac{x + \sin x}{K}[/itex]?
Oh, sorry! I meant the former.

jobsism said:
Yes, I understand that much.Oh, sorry! I meant the former.

This is actually a fairly tricky problem. The answer is that there's no single limit. There are, however, an infinite number of "attractors" to which the infinitely iterated function will converge.

Why don't you start by applying the hint in my first post, then we'll take it from there.

Another very important hint: sketch the curve of [itex]y = \sin{\frac{x}{\pi^3}}[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring the Limit of f(x)^n: A Homework Challenge"?

The purpose of this homework challenge is to explore the concept of limits in mathematics and how they apply to functions with exponents. By completing this challenge, students will gain a deeper understanding of limits and their applications.

2. Who can participate in this homework challenge?

This homework challenge is open to all students, regardless of their level of mathematical knowledge. It is designed to be a learning experience for anyone interested in exploring limits and functions with exponents.

3. What materials are needed for this homework challenge?

Participants will need access to a computer or calculator to perform calculations, as well as a basic understanding of algebra and functions with exponents. No additional materials are required.

4. How long does it take to complete this homework challenge?

The time it takes to complete this challenge will vary depending on the individual's level of mathematical knowledge and their pace. On average, it may take 1-2 hours to complete.

5. Are there any prizes or rewards for completing this challenge?

This homework challenge is designed as a learning experience and there are currently no prizes or rewards for completing it. However, participants will gain a better understanding of limits and functions with exponents through this challenge.