1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit problem

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine a function: f(x) = x + sin(x)/K where K is pi cubed.
    Suppose f(x)^n means f(f(f(f(.....f(x))))) n times.
    Find the value of lim n->infinity f(x)^n

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea on where to start. Can anyone give a hint, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Let the limit be y. Can you see that [itex]f(y) = y[/itex]? If the limit exists, then the sequence will converge to that value. Applying the function one more time to the limit will not change the value.

BTW, there's ambiguity in your question. Did you mean [itex]f(x) = x + \frac{\sin x}{K}[/itex] or [itex]f(x) = \frac{x + \sin x}{K}[/itex]?

4. Jul 5, 2012 #3
    Yes, I understand that much.

Oh, sorry! I meant the former.

5. Jul 5, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

This is actually a fairly tricky problem. The answer is that there's no single limit. There are, however, an infinite number of "attractors" to which the infinitely iterated function will converge.

Why don't you start by applying the hint in my first post, then we'll take it from there.

Another very important hint: sketch the curve of [itex]y = \sin{\frac{x}{\pi^3}}[/itex].

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook